Facts of nurse shortage

Current and Projected Shortage Indicators

According to a report released by the American Hospital Association in April 2006, U.S. hospitals need approximately 118,000 Registered Nurses (RNs) to fill vacant positions nationwide. This translates into a national RN vacancy rate of 8.5%. The report, titled The State of America's Hospitals - Taking the Pulse, also found that 49% of hospital CEOs had more difficulty recruiting RNs in 2005 than in 2004.

According to the latest projections from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics published in the November 2005 Monthly Labor Review, more than 1.2 million new and replacement nurses will be needed by 2014. Government analysts project that more than 703,000 new RN positions will be created through 2014, which will account for two-fifths of all new jobs in the health care sector.

According to the 2005 survey by the American College of Health Executives on the Top Issues Confronting Hospitals, 85% of hospital CEOs reported having a shortage of registered nurses.

According to a report published in November 2004 as a Web exclusive of Health Affairs, Dr. Peter Buerhaus and colleagues found that "despite the increase in employment of nearly 185,000 hospital RNs since 2001, there is no empirical evidence that the nursing shortage has ended. To the contrary, national surveys of RNs and physicians conducted in 2004 found that a clear majority of RNs (82%) and doctors (81%) perceived shortages where they worked."

According to a July 2002 report by the Health Resources and Services Administration, 30 states were estimated to have shortages of registered nurses (RNs) in the year 2000.

Contributing Factors Impacting the Nursing Shortage

Enrollment in schools of nursing is not growing fast enough to meet the projected demand for nurses over the next ten years.

Though AACN reported a 9.6% enrollment increase in entry-level baccalaureate programs in nursing in 2005 over the previous year, this increase is not sufficient to meet the projected demand for nurses. In a report published in the November/December 2003 issue of Health Affairs, Dr. Peter Buerhaus and his colleagues found that "because the number of young RNs has decreased so dramatically over the past two decades, enrollments of young people in nursing programs would have to increase at least 40 percent annually to replace those expected to leave the workforce through retirement."

reference:

http://nursestaffingbusiness.blogspot.com

Nursing shortage the way it is perceived is a myth.. period. There are plenty of nurses out there, however; they just don't want to work as a nurse. Part of the problem is either they are the second income (bread winner) for the family and only work when extra income is needed or did nursing for a while and found out later, there is a reason why the pay is good.. because you work your butt off, and they then leave.

If you read the study and look at who performed it, you will see a very biased base. Now, did you see where they offered to increase salary, pay for tuition, benefits, etc to help resolve it .. hmm nope. Identify the problem, no logical solution... typical management theory. Nursing professors make about half what active nurse do, who wants to obtain their master and PhD level to make $25 -40k a year? Again, no instructors or professors no student nurses.. and again they wonder why?

The average age for an RN is about 42. which is scary because of the baby boomer generation is upcoming, we will not have enough then and the ideology of the new students is horrible. So many assume you will get paid high bucks to do nothing.. look at the rates of those entering and leaving the profession is < 2 years after boards. It is almost as high as EMS.. Again, expectations and reality 2 different things.

R/r 911

Ridryder911, I have seen this attitude with nursing students as well. In addition, I think nursing schools are starting to pump out ill qualified and quite frankly sub par nurses. (Even taking into account the new grad factor) I am quite disappointed by many of the students that I have seen. (No discipline, ill motivated, and lack basic understanding of human physiology.) Not to be a cliche, however, when I was in school you would fail a clinical rotation if you uniform and shoes were not up to spec, never mind not being prepared and lacking motivation and discipline. Yes, my instructors were quite liberal about getting rid of the bad apples. Education seems to be in a sad state all around. :D

Take care,

chbare.

I whole heartily agree, some nursing professors and I, were discussing this situation Tuesday. It almost appears to be like EMT classes anymore. Yes, we too were inspected as well for clinical uniforms and actually had a student removed from the program because her patch was 1/2 "" too low on her sleeve and another one that was removed because she was drinking a cola between clinical areas.. "unprofessional conduct and unbecoming".. and these EMT students think clinicals are rough.? LOL

Some don't believe it, but I can truly state that most nurses I have worked with and had as professors actually felt it was a "calling, ever more so than a job"... maybe, if we had such desire in EMS, we would have lobbyist and the pay structure as well as dedication the nursing profession has.. but, alas it too is changing into a ...."it's a job"... and some form of quick easy money. Yes, you can definitely tell it as well... 90% of Nursing is compassion, with a medical flair. Voted one of the top (#1) most trusted profession, the public has always turned to nursing. Hopefully, we can continue that image.

If medics would observe other medical professions, and copy the good and success of others, we could not -re-invent the wheel and excel as a profession, but we too are missing a lot of the passion and "calling".

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.