Have you ever been injured in the back of the ambulance

I've had my bell rung a couple of times. Here's the worst (and it was intentionally caused):

Had a new EMT with a huge attitude driving one day. She watched in the rear view mirror, and waited until she say me move around, lean over, and reach for something, then slam on the brakes. Threw me up into the front cabinets then down into the door well backward. Just about knocked me out. She claimed someone pulled out in front of hear. But I remembered seeing her eyes in the rear view just before. After awhile a few other medics reported similar experiences. We all had one thing in common. We wouldn't let her run the calls (she EMT, we medics). Weeks later she admitted to a co worker who was dating her she was doing it to show "who was boss".

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a dew bumps and bruise, (hopefully, I won't jinx myself) after nearly 30 years. I have although, accidentally knocked my partner out.. many years ago, I was driving when an idiot pulled out and nearly side swept us ( we were going non-emergency) my partner was talking to me through the "port hole" and apparently, when I stopped he bumped his head.. I wondered why he got so quiet all of a sudden.... :lol:

R/r 911

I was in a wreck once while in the back. We were driving non-emergent and were a block away from the hospital. My partner was turning left, hit a slick spot on the road which slowed down his turn, and got T-boned by a fella going about 50-55 mph. No, I wasn't belted---I was getting up to put the radio back after my report to the ER. (Bad timing I guess.) I hit the cabinets with the left side of my face, and the next thing I knew we were at the side of the road, and I was covered in glass from the back window that had broken out. I think I was only out for a few seconds. The patient was fine thanks to those wonderful straps on the cot, and my partner and the other driver were OK too. I was the only one injured, but I finished out the 24 hour shift anyway. Stupid, stupid idea. We got a run at 3am and getting out of bed was the most painful experience of my life.

Hi Lithium

Pt spo2 on room air 85%, decreased air to bases with insp|exp wheezes in mid and upper lobes, 3-5 word dispnia

Spo2 came up to 93 after first Ventolin, after second Ventolin spo2 98% and speaking normally,but developed basal crackles on left side.

Haha, now I can see why and agree with your decision :lol: ALS back-up at all? Did you consider Epi?

Haha, now I can see why and agree with your decision :lol: ALS back-up at all? Did you consider Epi?

Base hospital doesn't allow epi in pt over 50yo, my guy was 79yo. I could have patched to base hospital doctor for epi order but ventolin was working. I was out in the Komoka area 15 min west of London , with no ALS at my station that day.

While running emergent with an acute MI to the hospital, A lady ran a stop light and we t-boned her. I was in the process of starting my patient's 2nd IV when impact occurred, sending me flying into the IV/Rx box cabinet, 3 rib fx, developed a pneumo 2 days later and sustained grade 3 concussion. Stayed in hospital for 8 days and out of work for 3 months.

I've had my bell rung a couple of times. Here's the worst (and it was intentionally caused):

Had a new EMT with a huge attitude driving one day. She watched in the rear view mirror, and waited until she say me move around, lean over, and reach for something, then slam on the brakes. Threw me up into the front cabinets then down into the door well backward. Just about knocked me out. She claimed someone pulled out in front of hear. But I remembered seeing her eyes in the rear view just before. After awhile a few other medics reported similar experiences. We all had one thing in common. We wouldn't let her run the calls (she EMT, we medics). Weeks later she admitted to a co worker who was dating her she was doing it to show "who was boss".

That is just plain psychotic.

That is somebody who should have their license jerked and be criminally prosecuted.

If it was a guy doing this I would probably also administer a severe beatdown.

As in we will all take turns holding his arms so everyone gets a couple of shots in.

I've been thrown into the bulkhead many times. Many bumps and bruises, but never anything serious. My old partner was working an extra shift and was in the back of the squad. The unit he was running in had a handrail that was secured to the end of the bench seat. The driver slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a driver who ran a red light. The road they were on was a 50 mph road and they were not running lights/sirens. He was thrown into the hand rail and broke his collarbone. Fortunately, a local cop witnessed the whole thing and cited the other driver. He was also responsible for Andy's medical bills (well his insurance was).

"While running emergent with an acute MI to the hospital"

As a paramedic, you were running lights and sirens with an acute MI ?

I know every service and an area is different, but here you would never run MIs lit up. too much anxiety for the patient, increased HR, BP, etc which are all counter productive to the patient's outcome. Not trying to knock yourcare, just showing how things are different in different places.

I think running hot is overused in many many cases.

Unless someone is actively coding then yeah but not many other reasons to run L&S but it all depends on protocols and your services guidelines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.