Advice on how to judge ambulance companies in MA

Viper

Hello,

I have my final written exam (for the class) tommorow (Boston University) and it is starting to be the time to decide where I want to work.

I did my ride along time with Professional EMS out of Cambridge, MA (does 911 for them too) (www.proems.com) and liked it a lot. I heard it's full time only, but i like the B/P idea (and also that if its a basic call the basic techs and vice versa). I also liked that they are computerized (including Sirius Sat Radio and the use of pagers), and are mainly a 911 company... The only thing IT SEEMS is that they are full time only (at this point i am a college student and am not sure if I want a career in medicine let alone being an EMT).

But I don't know how to choose them vs all of the other companies that have been coming to our class hiring etc..

I'm also thinking about

Cataldo

EAS Care

Fallon

LifeLine (they are brand new and start in about 1 month however they only do transfers... www.lifelineamb.com)

Regardless, does anyone know anything about these companies in the Boston area... OR can help me know how to make a decision?

Much thanks to all!

--Josh

I use to work for Armstrong, I noticed a lot of people at Lifeline jumped ship and appear to have started Lifeline. I worked at Armstrong from 98-02, left after getting my medic (went to Western Mass). When I left moral was low. Some of those who left Armstrong were blamed for the moral by employees. It could have come from above. I will say I did have a lot of fun working there at times.

I would be cautious of a start up service. It sounds like a lot of money must have been spent to start Lifeline, I would like to know where it came from and how many contracts they have already arranged.

If you had a good time at Pro try them. When it comes down to it all depends on what you make of it. Don't do anything stupid and you can always change companies.

"Viper,"

I hope you enjoyed 'Ray's' program. As far as the comments about 'LifeLine' here, this company is brand new and essentially all of the old long term management of Armstrong, who left to do this start up. This includes the old CEO and HR managers, etc.. It is too early to tell if they will suffer the same myopic afflictions which Armstrong was famous for. As far as the original question. Really it depends on you. There are perhaps 2 actual progressive EMS serviecs in this state and even they have their issues like anywhere else. That being said, one of them is Paramedic only. Next as far as choices, this has to do with a myriad of factors most of which would need to be based on personal situation and information. Take anonymous career advice from an internet forum at your own risk. If you have specific questions feel free to post them or PM me I will be happy to help anyway I can.

Out Here,

ACE844

Thank you for everyone that has replied so far...

I really think I will apply to Pro as I do like action and excitement. But I still haven't made up my mind... So any further feedback would still be much appreciated

Companies do background checks on us, so you should do one on them. If you don't want to spend any money, you can start with google. You'll be able to find tax records, health department records, and other public information about the company and it's owners. Should you choose you can do background checks for a few dollars on the owners and management team.

I would also call the health department, or who ever manages ambulances in your state and find out what their standing is. Then you need to ask about how many complaints and investigations they have had. Next, you can call Medicare (give it time), but you can find out their standing with Medicare, including if they are under investigation or have been.

Simply put, you need to be smart and do your homework. To many EMT's and Paramedics are attracted by cool toys, shiny ambulances, and higher then normal pay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.