Scheduling question

And yes, I searched and found nothing quite like this elsewhere in the forums.

I was talking with a guy I know recently who works at a place that schedules their part timers first (based on their availability) and then schedules their full timers in the open spots.

To a certain extent, I can kinda' understand this. Instead of trying to plug holes with part timers you tell the full timers that this is their schedule and go from there. I can see how this might make the scheduling easier.

But on the other hand, it seems a bit hard on the full timers to not have anything set. Even more it would seem to create an environment of discontent in not having anything reliable from week to week and scheduling period to scheduling period. (To help clarify, schedules are done every six weeks for the next six weeks. So they never know more than six weeks in advance when they'll be working.).

I know we have some managers here. Thoughts?

From the rest of you line providers, what're your thoughts if this was how your scheduling was done?

-be safe.

"Paramedic mike,"

Just soem thoughts from 'street level' first. It strikes me that there is no stability in this system in that the full timers may not have the ability to get all their 'full time' hours in depending on the staffing and schedule of the service. This is further complicate dby the fact that one cannot plan or have any kind of social life because you have no 'expectation' of working. I would not work under a system such as this for long.

ACE

OK -- I happen to be in a situation that I do not have a "set" schedule currently (for the last 6 months). I have been the only full time paramedic at my service during this time period. I have been relatively flexible about this as we rebuild our paramedic staffing levels to meet the services demand. I have had several sit down meetings with management regarding this issue and we have worked to get me into a psuedo schedule until next month when I have explained that I need steady schedules -- I have guaranteed # of hours, but not necessarily set hours right now.

Although this has been a source of stress for me, I enjoy working for my employer and we have come to an understanding with the schedule. So I am waiting to see what September brings me -- should be a mostly set schedule. Other things that are going to help this out is the addition of more full time staff here.

P40

One of the hospital services around here did that.

I think they set part time regulars first, then full timers around that. From what i understand, it really used to suck for the full timers, but not so much anymore. Too many of them have kids and are back in school themselves.

Sounds like a good way to lose your full time staff. I for one would not like that, and many I work with wouldn't. After all, isn't the point of working full time to have a regular cash flow and part time to put some extra cash in your pocket?

One of the perks of being full time is stability, like say having a set rotation. With this setup, when the part timers submit their availability for Christmas (or any other holiday for that matter) and they're unavailable, do the full timers get stuck in there?

The service I work for gives us two set days per week. We have very little turn over of employees. Part timers are utilized to fill open spots if available and if not, we can work the extra hours if we choose to. Presently I work only Thursday and Friday - no weekends. Newest employess usually get stuck with the crapiest shifts until an opening is available.

I would definitely say our scheduling caters to the FT employee and not the PT employee. I think if PT employees were scheduled first it would cause a lot of resentment by FT staff.

Sounds like with the scheduling system you mentioned, that they are actually working around a Part time employees, fulltime job somwhere else!

We do our scheduling around call demand. Every year we re-evaluate our call volume for the different times of day and days of the week and that's how we determine our scheduling for the entire year. If no significant changes in call volume, we don't make big scheduling changes. If they need to re-align the shifts a little, then usually there is a bid process that, sometimes, everyone has to participate in but usually you only have to bid if you want another shift. So, therefore, we have set schedules for at least a year. Downside to this is the new employees might have been temporally placed on a good shift for them but when the bid comes around they get screwed into one of the most least desirable shifts. It's done on seniority. I hate it for someone who has to work in a system that is mentioned in the original post. Hope someone can change all of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.