A very sobering list

• 2 weeks later...

Go to any of the video repositories on the web, and you will find thousands of videos of people in all manner of negative vehicular interactions. ;)

Whoa, that was a bit too PC, wasn't it?

Lots of tape, of lots of people gettin' hit by lots of cars/trucks/motorcycles.

This list is quite sobering in the fact that it shows just HOW UNSAFE we are at accident scenes.

And I will say it again.... it never ceases to amaze me how many medics don't give a second thought to playing in traffic like a farking idiot, yet those same medics would never even consider entering a violent scene. WTF? The numbers don't lie. Traffic is what is killing us. If the police aren't there, and the road is not closed, refuse to make the scene until it happens, just like you would for a shooting. If the police refuse to close the highway, leave. Screw them. When they can't finish their little investigation because there is no fire or EMS, they will figure out what they need to do.

We just brought Maryland State patrol to our station to discuss emergency driving and scene safety at MVAs. They said they feel the need to balance safety and keeping the road open. They will not complain if we use the squad or engine to block the road.

I want as much as possible between the idiots and me when I am working on scene.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.