laryngoscope blades

asy

Quick & easy solution. We have multiple sizes and styles of laryngoscope blades, learn to use them all and you can tube multiple patients from the same kit.

I still like the condom idea though. Of course my blade is big enough I would have to use a Magnum!! :lol:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick & easy solution. We have multiple sizes and styles of laryngoscope blades, learn to use them all and you can tube multiple patients from the same kit.

I still like the condom idea though. Of course my blade is big enough I would have to use a Magnum!! :lol:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

I'm not sure if we can just take your word for that Marty.

I like the idea my service has of the disposable laryngyscope blades. However, they do pose one concern with me and that is they are made more cheaply than the preferred metal. I am always terrified I would break one off when really having to place a difficult tube and use a good bit of pressure to see. I also have a few other gripes with them, but as far as ensuring it is clean, I think you can't beat the disposables, though I still have a preference to a well cleaned metal (and yes, I have placed one in my mouth to assist students in being able to see what it actually looks like - dimished gag reflex - NO COMMENTS THERE PLEASE ). That way when they went to clinicals, they knew the vocal chords didn't look like bright white ruffles on Fred the Head.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone use disposable blades? Use once and toss....kinda like a cond....okay, I'll stop right there. :oops:

We do. I think the condom idea is absolutely stupid and gives a false sense of cleanliness. If your post-intubation procedure is difficult, deviating from estabalished practices isn't the answer. Disposable blades, a streamlined cleaning process are just two options. It's not difficult to leave a blade in some approved cleaner for a short time after cleaning gross debris.

The disposable blades are green and feel a bit odd until you get used to them. They're a lot lighter and you'd think they'll break, but I've grabbed on them and pulled quite hard. They hold.

Wow, how nice of you to come here with your 4th post on this site and display our standard American narrowmindedness and rudeness. You can not call the condom idea stupid when you have never lived or worked in a country other than the US. Basically you have insulted a very well respected paramedic and member of this site who has seen more trauma casulties and fatalities in a years time than I have seen in my entire career. We have no concept of MCI in the US cause it happens so rarely. Over there, it is a regular occurrence and it is massive. The injuries seen are unlike any we have seen on our homeland. It just doesnt happen here...not yet anyways. Due to the amoount of trauma they see on a regular basis, it would be safe to assume that they have perfected what works and doesnt work for them. Just because it is different from our standards, does not make it wrong. They have improvised and adapted and are doing well with their solutions. Do you have a better one? Are you willing to go over and see that it is implemented? Until such time, we should not criticize another countries ways or techniques, only learn from them and see how we can improve ourselves.

Wow, how nice of you to come here with your 4th post on this site and display our standard American narrowmindedness and rudeness. You can not call the condom idea stupid when you have never lived or worked in a country other than the US. Basically you have insulted a very well respected paramedic and member of this site who has seen more trauma casulties and fatalities in a years time than I have seen in my entire career. We have no concept of MCI in the US cause it happens so rarely. Over there, it is a regular occurrence and it is massive. The injuries seen are unlike any we have seen on our homeland. It just doesnt happen here...not yet anyways. Due to the amoount of trauma they see on a regular basis, it would be safe to assume that they have perfected what works and doesnt work for them. Just because it is different from our standards, does not make it wrong. They have improvised and adapted and are doing well with their solutions. Do you have a better one? Are you willing to go over and see that it is implemented? Until such time, we should not criticize another countries ways or techniques, only learn from them and see how we can improve ourselves.

I guess I missed the memo where there was a minimum number of posts before commenting on the merits of a particular approach.

MCI happens every day in the US.

Standards are not opinions. If it's research proven, then I'm all for it. If you want to cite a resource other than assumptions, I'd love to see it. I am not opposed to anything that works and is proven in research. But I'll grant you that it's overly offensive. A better way to say it would be "I'm extremely skeptical that using a condom is a wise idea."

MCI does happen every day in the US but not on the same level of or as a result of terrorism. 8 patients and 2 ambulances is an MCI, but we are not experiencing numerous simultaneous fatalties and severe casulaties on a daily basis. Sorry that comment holds no water. Have you had any shellings today or have your kids found some unexploded rockets at the remnants of the playground? Just asking...How many suicide bombings have you or anyone else worked? How many scavenger hunts have you gone on looking for pieces? How many of those pieces were family members, coworkers, or friends? The research is out there, do your homework. The Israelis have set the bar high when it comes to trauma medicine research, security/special forces, and homeland security along with pride.

My post was geared to the attitude which shows how typical we are always assuming others are wrong just because it is different.

No you do not need a certain number of posts to comment, however as a newbie, it isnt the best idea to instantly be offensive to a well respected person here especially when you know nothing of them.

At the end you did apologize so we will leave it at that...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.