Enducing/Reducing Labor

FL_Medic

Good question "FL_Medic," I have never seen or heard of 'labor induction' being done prehospital here or in general. The most common tocolytics used here are Pitocin, and Mag sulfate.

ACE844

Tocolytics? I'm going to have to look that one up.

Toco doesn't mean labor does it?

Tocolytics? I'm going to have to look that one up.

Toco doesn't mean labor does it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocolytic

No it is referencing the muscle contractions which occur in labor. These drugs are used because of their mechanisim to stop-diminish the smooth muscle contractions present in labor at various times when it would be undesirable to have the baby be delivered at said time.

ACE844

Let me ask another question, how many of us really want to deliver a baby in the rig instead of in a controlled area like a Birthing center.

Now that being asked, inducing labor in the pre-hospital situation can only bring us providers headaches. We will have to be taught so much more on OB knowledge because we might as well just grab our ankles and say kiss it. Inducing labor in the pre-hospital environment is just a BAD IDEA.

I think the question was more as a consequence of other treatment, if we could intitiate contractions. I doubt the FL_Medic was intending to walk into a scene and push some Vasopressin so he could deliver a baby.

God, I hope that was the direction he was going. :shock:

Naw, the question was directed somewhere else. :D

"Remember ADH is responsible for the release of Angiotension II "

Juxtaglomerular cells in the kidney are responsible for the production of Renin, a hormone, which is responsible for the production of Angiotension I, which is converted in the lungs to Angiotension II by Angiotension Converting Enzyme.

Now, my two cents on ADH.

I pregnant females who's bag of waters has broke, or not, if they are subject to imminent birth, the standard of care is to administer warm IV fluids wide open.

The mechanism for this is to suppress the release of Oxytocin from the posterior pituitary gland indirectly. I too, love to learn, and am not exactly sure of the way this is accomplished, so someone might want to take over from here.

Thanks

I think the question was more as a consequence of other treatment, if we could intitiate contractions. I doubt the FL_Medic was intending to walk into a scene and push some Vasopressin so he could deliver a baby.

God, I hope that was the direction he was going. :shock:

Naw, the question was directed somewhere else. :)

lol, correct

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.