New EMT Looking for Employment

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this site but have been looking at it for a while. I am currently from NJ but I am planning to move to Pennsylvania once I take my NREMT-B test (next Tuesday) and receive reciprocity. I guess my question is if anyone has any information about any companies that are worth looking at and hire directly out of school? I'm looking in Philly or the surrounding areas and am interested in attending paramedic school after I get some experience (and hopefully having that funded for me). Any information about the area, pay, benefits, companies, anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS I am 24 years old with a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Sociology minor if that counts for anything.

Where in PA are you looking?

Avoid Philly like the plague that it is. Besides, it's all FD based EMS and they currently...well...suck.

Montgomery County isn't a bad place. Most places run EMT/Paramedic crews. Whether or not they'll hire you right out of basic school is another question. Given the glut of basics in the area it might be a tough sell.

Check the other surrounding counties (Delaware, Chester, Bucks, Berks). Avoid the city.

Try getting some experience at your local squad before you come over. That can only help you...even if it is Jersey.

-be safe.

As the resident Philly / Montco / Bucks / Chester / Northhampton basic...allow me to make a few suggestions.

1. Dont plan on a 911 gig off the bat. Give that a year or so, roughly.

2. Try city transport companies, ill send you a few links with good contact info.

3. If your interested in heading into the counties, try a few squads in Buckswho do both transport and 911. It will be the resume notch you need to get into the bigger systems and better paying jobs.

PM me with questions

I was looking to move to Montgomery county so anywhere close to there would be great. What is the pay like out there? Is it hard for someone with no experience(EMS Experience) to find a decent paying position? Are the companies willing to pay for paramedic school or do you have to pay yourself? I know to stay away from the FD EMS but are there any other options in the city? Are the private companies just medical transports? Sorry for all the questions, I guess I'm just eager to start something new. Thanks for the responses. PRPG: any links would really help...Thanks a lot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.