New Ambulance

CaptBP

I'm a volunteer at a rescue company in a pretty quite area. Our company already has 3 ambulances, 2 of which are less than 5 years old, and we never get hit out for 3 calls, so of course we are selling the oldest ambulance and buying a new one. I just thought I'd let you all know that people can be pretty retarded.

What if you do get 3 calls?

What about MCIs?

What would happen if one of the other two ambulances breakdown?

I'd rather have too many ambulances then not enough ambulances.

I'd rather have too many ambulances then not enough ambulances.

JP, he DID say they were replacing the third ambo, not sacking it.

But yeah... was there a point to this thread? :?

Ahh, but he seems to be calling the idea "retarded."

OH! Okay, I understand his point now. Thanks for the clarification.

It had appeared to me that the issue with the third truck and the "retarded" comment were unrelated.

So yeah, I agree with the Captain. That is pretty retarded to maintain a volunteer system in a community that can afford more brand new ambos than they need. The citizens there are getting screwed.

While I have no experience with small towns, I wouldn't think that maintaining 3 veichles would be a bad thing. True, if they have enough money to buy a brand new unit, then they should have enough to pay. That said, the operational difference between 2 ambulances and three (again, MCIs, breakdowns, etc) and 34 vs 35 is large. If you have a large number of units, then loosing a unit isn't going to be too big of a problem. If you have 3 units, then you've just lost 1/3rd of your fleet. If that third veichle is on it's last legs (the age or condition was never mentioned), then you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

People can truly be retarded. I mean how retarded is it that they take the oldest unit and replace it with a new one. HMMMM I guess if replacing the oldest unit and getting a new one is retarded then maybe the "smart" thing to do is to keep the oldest one and sell the newest one and replace it with a used unit.

I have no idea where this post came from or the thought processes on the post were.

Original poster - please clarifiy your post. You've left a lot of people with many questions.

But seriously if your volunteer service can afford a three nice new ambulances over that period of time, maybe your service could think about going paid.