NIMS (National Incident Management System)

whit72

The most significant change from the Incident Command System to NIMS is the name.

You still have the issues of which system every department is following. Now they have included receiving facilities in the educational process, which is long overdue, but they are going about it a bit sideways.

Administrators with little time/experience with these kinds of incidents are being set up to fail at the worst possible time. These facilities will be calling for help from local fire/EMS departments because that is where the people who know how to manage the incident will be.

In time it will get better, but until then let's hope we don't need it.

Don't take an actual "sit at a desk with other people and listen to a lecture" course. Take it online. You can do it through the National Fire Academy. Follow this link to help you:

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/training/nfa/independent/

It'll give you the same training and certificate at the end. Plus it'll meet the Federal requirements to keep your employer/squad in compliance. Even more, it'll keep you from sleeping through what was otherwise a waste of time lecture.

Seriously, do it online. You won't be sorry. But you will be if you sit through the class! ;)

Good luck.

-be safe.

Blast!

Where was that link 4 months ago when I had to sit through the BLEEPITY, BLEEP, BLEEPING course?

Good alternative source. Thanks Mike.

Ssaint wrote:

whit, what'd you think of it?

It was a little tough to stay focused at times. However, it seems like in theory it could work if we were to adhere to the guidelines that have been set up. Its just getting everyone on the same page. Using the resources you have available in the best possible situations. In my experience that was the biggest issue. No one new exactly what they were supposed to be doing, where they should be doing it or when they should be doing it.

It dealt alot with setting up distinct people in charge. One incident commander, under him there are chiefs for all agencies involved, fire, EMS, and police. They in turn have supervisors under them to carry out their orders.

They also explained universal radio communications, using plain language so there was no chance of mis-interpretation between different agencies involved.

I just think it is focused planning. We should have had these types of systems in place years ago.

In theory I believe it could work, however we seem to revert back to what we know when the sh*t hits the fan. (My ways the best way, so thats how im doing it. Screw everybody else.)

Time will tell.

NIMS courses I have taken...

IS-00100 Intro to ICS

IS-00200 ICS for Single Resource and IAP

IS-00700 NIMS an Intro

IS-00800 National Response Plan

IS-00003 Radiological Emergency Management (We're near a nuke plant)

So what have I learned?

The government loves abbreviations, FCO, FPO, ICS. etc.

Do not use 10 codes

Radiation is bad! Very Bad!!

The government knows what its doing, just ignore that whole Katrina thing. hypnodisk.gif

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Don't take an actual "sit at a desk with other people and listen to a lecture" course. Take it online. You can do it through the National Fire Academy. Follow this link to help you:

It'll give you the same training and certificate at the end. Plus it'll meet the Federal requirements to keep your employer/squad in compliance. Even more, it'll keep you from sleeping through what was otherwise a waste of time lecture.

Seriously, do it online. You won't be sorry. But you will be if you sit through the class! :lol:

Good luck.

-be safe.

I'd rather take it online, but my VFD is paying for it... at a local community college.

Seriously, do it online. You won't be sorry. But you will be if you sit through the class! :lol:

Good luck.

-be safe.

Thanks for the link!! Now I'll have something to keep me busy for a few nights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.