Ask Not What EMS Can Do For You, Ask What You Can Do For EMS

It occurs to me that the vast majority of improvements that have occured in our industry over the past 20 years have been technological or pharmacological, not necessarily by the hands of those who work in the profession. With that being said, I bet many of you have made major improvements to your service, even if it didnt impact your region or country. Could you please take a minute to list some of the great accomplishments of your service. My hope is that the good ideas may be circulated to other services, so that the improvements can reach more patients. So, what have you done to improve EMS ?

Actually, I have seen a detriment in EMS in the past 20 years. The curriculum has been diluted down to EMT are equivalent to Advanced First Aid, expectations of EMS personnel are unrealistic and work ethics are more poor than ever. Still almost half of the U.S. is still not served by the level Johny & Roy offered. Certifications in lieu of license, textbooks written at junior high school level.

EMS seemed to plateau about the late 80's early 90's. Not much difference in treatment, technology, and growth of of the profession.

So what did EMS improve upon, hmm .. truthfully EMS itself very little. Those that work with EMS, yes.. thrombolytics, RSI, ..oh wait that was greater than 20 years ago. Hmmm ...computer PCR, more aggressive pain management, increasing awareness of Pediatric EMS as a speciality, more increasing use of XII lead in the field, EtCo2 use CVA recognition and more collegiate level Paramedic programs. We might add internet forums like this to openly discuss issues.... that was only chatted at conventions or back in the station.

I do hope we improve more than we did the last 20 years....we have plenty of room to grow.

R/r 911

EMS as a whole is taking little steps sideways, with an occasional stumble forward.

Each individual service is as much responsible for holding things back, as they are for advancing them.

Why don't more have 12 lead capability? Too expensive to justify.

Why is capnography slow to take hold? Same reason.

Why should providers be expected to pursue a degree program, when they get the nuts and bolts from their department for free?

National administrative level leadership? Pipe dream.

Local political backing? Not unless the mayor/town or county government needs you.

After thinking about it .. there are some advances. Most EMS units are better than before, rarely see vans used, and usually the EMT' s only have to perform one job... not multiple functions while working as an EMT. The pay really has increased, and some EMS stations are much better living conditions than the hand me downs, we used to get.

There appears to be more diversity in age, as well. It used to be solely a young man's job...

I believe our next twenty years will have EMS changing drastically, unfortunately I don't believe it will be EMS who will make those decisions.

R/r 911

I don't have anything of substance to contribute here, but I just wanted to say "plus 10" for a great topic idea! =D>

Well unfortunately I have to agree with the above posts. But I still have faith that some smaller improvements have been made, maybe folks are just scared to admit their contribution because the feel it is too minimal. Obvioulsy, any step forward is a good one, so come on and brag about your service. Surely some of you have a community AED program, or you can brag that youve taught "x" number of citizens CPR. Maybe you used Homeland Security grants to make your community more prepared for a disaster. Maybe you changed your orientation/training process. Maybe you bought bigger/better equipment. Dont by shy, lets hightlight a positive, and spark ideas among other services.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.