Canada to US

pat

holy crap, I responded to someones negative attitude towards me.

sure I added a little bonus insult but hey he agitated me. Whats with the hating of cats anyway? heh

More importantly thanks for the info dustdevil, BEorP pretty much layed it out nicely for me.

So what your saying is despite a little paperwork etc canadian medics can move to the US and be certified medics?

holy crap, I responded to someones negative attitude towards me.

It wasn't towards you. It was towards your behaviour. Hate the game, not the player. The forum rules, which you agreed to when you registered here, ask that you use the search function to find relevant information before asking questions. It is not unreasonable for members to expect you to follow the rules, nor to point it out when you do not do so.

So what your saying is despite a little paperwork etc canadian medics can move to the US and be certified medics?

That is correct. It will vary greatly from state to state. And while some states will have had experience with Canadian medics and know the routine, others will not have and will put you through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops. Eventually, however, it will get done. Although, as was already stated, I can't imagine why you would do so.

But either you are serious about being a doctor, or you are not. If you are, do it. If you are not, then be a paramedic and keep talking $hit about being a doctor for the rest of your life like the other billion paramedics who never make it to med school.

Whatever you do, good luck.

hey, thanks for all the replies, and my apologies for the attitude heh. As for following the rules, I definitly didn't think to check FAQ or the Search engine, but i appreciate all of your responses I got. Just filling in some gaps and questions I have about my future, branching off thinking of every possible thing. I mentioned in my other topic im just young and curious and wanted a few questions answered. Pleased to say im satisfied now, thanks for the info.

-pat

Heads up to Canadian PCP's/ACP's trying to get work in the US!

You may find an employer more than willing to give you a job, and you may find state or national agencies will provide you with professional reciprocity, but UNLESS you have US ties, i.e. you were born in US, your parents are American or if you fall under one of the NAFTA medical/allied health designations below:

(Medical/Allied Professional)

Dentist D.D.S., D.M.D., Doctor en Odontologia or Doctor en Cirugia Dental; or state/provincial license

Dietitian Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license

Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada) /Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)6 Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience

Nutritionist Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree

Occupational Therapist Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license

Pharmacist Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license

Physician (teaching or research only) M.D. or Doctor en Medicina; or state/provincial license

Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree;

or state/provincial license

Psychologist State/provincial license; or Licenciatura Degree

Recreational Therapist Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree

Registered Nurse State/provincial license; or Licenciatura Degree

Veterinarian D.V.M., D.M.V. or Doctor en Veterinaria; or state/provincial license

you will very likely NOT be granted access to work in the USA by USCIS (formerly known as INS)!!

I experienced this first hand in 1994 as a Canadian Respiratory Therapist seeking employment in the US ( you know...at a time when it was fashionable to blow up hospitals in Alberta :evil: ) I had a job lined up, I had US NBRC licensure to practise, but I hit a brick wall with INS because my profession wasn't on the "list".

Eventually, in 2003, I entered America the old fashioned way (no, not an illegal border crossing :roll: ), I sold my Canuck soul and married an American :wink:

Eventually, in 2003, I entered America the old fashioned way (no, not an illegal border crossing :roll: ), I sold my Canuck soul and married an American :wink:

My sister married a Canuck. But that's ok. We love her anyway. :lol:

(And he's a good guy, too!)

-be safe.

Woot to international relations!

We could sure use some Canadian medics here in Iraq, if anybody is interested!

Do they take PCPs? Well, unemployed AEMCAs I mean...

Not officially. But under the right circumstances they might. If said PCP had a tonne of clinical or military experience and expertise, they would certainly consider it. Better than a ten year ACP with nothing but ambo experience!

I can tell you that anybody who spends a year here will be exceptionally well prepared for oilfield or any other remote medic work. You can't buy this kind of training and experience!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.