Canada to US

pat

Hey, yet another question:

Is primary/advanced/critical or any medic/emt education from Canada useless if the individual relocates to the US? or must the individual start all over and complete EMT training than Medic training?

-appreciated

I can't answer your question... but why would you want to leave Ontario to work as a medic in the US?

Yes, it is very hard to find a PCP job here, but that may change by the time you'd be through school and more importantly here medics are health professionals and paid as such.

hey,

thanks for reply, and i'm aware of the upsides to working here in Ontario. Im mostly just curious and wanted to know how working medics in the US differ. Furthermore I was planning to relocate because of other reasons, however I was wondering if the move would have a negative/possitive impact on my career. I'm stil eager to start my program and working here in ontario, maybe ill run into yah...give me a couple years though heh.

thanks again for the reply.

-pat

There are many threads and debates comparing Ontario to US medics.

To sum it up (from the perspective of an Ontario PCP student)

- Ontario medics get paid more

- the lowest level to work on an ambulance in the US is EMT-B (a 120 hour course) and in Ontario is PCP (2 years)

- EMT-B jobs can be very hard to come by, and are often just as a driver or transfer attendant

- US medics are technicians, Ontario medics are health professionals

- in the US, EMTs/medics can generally do a lot more (skills/drugs) but with a lot less education... and no, you should not judge an EMS system based on how "progressive" their protocols are

Please don't flame me for this, we've had the debate many times and don't need to again. This is just my perspective and there are obviously many different views about this on the board.

hmm let me get this straight...

32 years old, employed as a paramedic and apparently a father.

yet your picture representing yourself appears to be a cat shooting a machine gun......intelligent. and you help people?

hm for what its worth thanks for the link.

yet your picture representing yourself appears to be a cat shooting a machine gun......intelligent. and you help people?

hm for what its worth thanks for the link.

1. I despise cats. I hate them. I loathe them. What you can't see is the big, bad dog with a BIGGER gun just off the screen waiting to blow away all 9 lives of that cat.

2. Yes, I help people. I know it's hard to believe and they actually pay me to. WOW!

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Dude, don't give Canadians a bad name here.

Anyhow, BEorP is correct. And no, US reciprocity for a Canadian educated medic is not usually a problem. It may just take a little bureaucracy time and possibly a few hours of CE.

1. I despise cats. I hate them. I loathe them. What you can't see is the big, bad dog with a BIGGER gun just off the screen waiting to blow away all 9 lives of that cat.

2. Yes, I help people. I know it's hard to believe and they actually pay me to. WOW!

Boy doc if she didn't like your avatar, she's really going to hate my sig.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

P.S. Lighten up Pat. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.