75 y/o female with ALOC

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never found out about the BM, but I transfered her to a larger hospital about 2-3 Hours later and it was because they couldn't keep her BGL under control, and wasn't for sure why.

We never found out about the BM, but I transfered her to a larger hospital about 2-3 Hours later and it was because they couldn't keep her BGL under control, and wasn't for sure why.

That would lead me to believe a raging infection from somewhere. My suspicion would still be the surgery site, but the bowel would hold firmly to second place. Not uncommon to nick the bowel when knives start flashing through the abdomen.

Any retraction on the bowel could also create a necrotic section. You could very well be onto something there Ace.

Well if they could not keep her Blood sugar up sounds like a Pancreatic problem. that is a weird presentation of hypoglycemia. I am with everyone else, she has to have a infection some place. I would almost put money on a pancreatic infection or they nicked a bowl. I was almost certain though it was going to be her ammonia levels. oh well can not win them all.

Brock

Dispatch: Medic 2 respond to a rural residence for a pt with ALOC and decreased resp, fever recent liver surgery.

Upon arrival you find a 75 y/o female in bed supine with local FD, pt is combative, and it is everything they can do to keep her under control. Pt is having snoring respirations, and hot to the touch. BP 142/68, Resp 30 snoring. Decorticate Posture.

What do you want else to know.

I would want the HR, SAO2, BS, and I would keep an eye out for cushing's. I would give low flow o2, concidering that high flow o2 given to a CVA can caused respiratory arrest. I would also take a temp of coarse. I may consider the need to intibate or possibly a NPA.

Was this pt. having an inflamatory response due to the surgery?

I don't know what happened after we delivered her to the larger hospital they treat us at this hospital like step kids, but she had a fever, but during the transfer she was AOX3 and had no troubles, so as far as that thats all I know and I thank everyone for your information and question I learned alot of different medical conditions that could be associated with this presentation.

• 4 weeks later...

If she's "hot" to the touch, then I would rapidly cool her. My first thought is that she's suffering from heat stroke. BLS before ALS.

The other obvious reasons why she's ALOC could be fever, hypo/hyperglycemia, ammonia levels, AEIOUTIPS...