What in the heck were these rocket scientists thinking

I guess what I am saying is that if they did NOTHING, or were deliberately trying to cause harm, pain, discomfort, etc... That would be one thing, but they did all they could and then did their best to be humane about it when they could do no more and were forced to make a tough call. They DESERVE OUR SUPPORT!! This is no different than when in your analogy when you work a critical 'RED TAG' patient and their illness progresses to the point where ressus, is futile and the end point will remain unchanged.

I agree with many of your points, such as that there may well be an uneven application of the law involved and that they deserve a full presumption of innocence before all of the facts are presented and defended in court.

All of the back and forth quoting is a bit confusing, so I'm just going to respond to your point above for the sake of simplicity. If the allegations are true, which is a large if, then these individuals did more than simply their best. If true, they ventured into a realm that the law simply doesn't give them permission to enter.

I still fail to see how this can be compared to an MCI in which resources are devoted foremost to the patients who are most sick but still have a chance of surviving at the expense of those very unlikely to live with even the most heroic of interventions. Perhaps we're talking past each other. Certainly I was taught that very tough decisions have to made in MCIs, but those decisions are made for the betterment of other patients who have a better chance of survival, and not for the comfort of those about to die.

Is the indictment fair? Is this scapegoating? Does the situation warrant a whole new set of rules? Those are questions worth asking and answering, but they should be argued on their own merits and not on the merit of what is done in different circumstances. Hopefully that helped clarify my point.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can say is live and work through an event like this and then step back and see if your opinion is still the same. None of the pictures you will ever see, and I mean none of them will ever capture the true impact this event. I don't really wish to elaborate on what I saw. Do I agree with what happened? I don't really know. Do I think they murdered these people? No, i do not. Would I want my family members to lay through this in misery and die a slow and painful death? No, not at all. Like I said, you had to have been here at impact to truly appreciate what happened.

Smurfe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.