What is an acceptable refusal/no transport percentage

But what are the out of pocket expenses for a patient in Toronto? In the US, it could be up to the entire bill, depending on insurance.

In Toronto (and all of Ontario), if you are transported to the hospital via ambulance it costs $270 (roughly, I don't remember the exact cost). HOWEVER! This cost 99.5% of the time is subsidized down to $45 by the province to the actual out of pocket expensive to the patient. The 0.5% of the time where the patient is actually charged $270 is if the transport is deemed "non-essential". However this has to be validated by the crew, and the triage nurse and doctor (I believe). It is virtually never done...

So this $45 is charged to the patient regardless of the call...

- Ambulatory psych patient who "feels like hurting themselves" that you don't do anything for? $45.

- Cut finger and put a band-aid on it? $45.

- Full arrest and post-arrest to the hospital? $45.

Does not matter what medications or procedures are done. If you are transported to hospital you get a bill for $45.

If you are not transported (regardless of what is done on scene), there is no charge.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the canadians here

what is the price for a person from the US or other country to travel in an ambulance. Is it a lot more or the same???

well in KC MO when my wife was rear ended her bill was over 1500 bucks

450 base rate

5 bucks a mile

iv, o2, monitor, c-collar and lsb and whatever else they used

about 1580 bucks.

GA you're cheap

at a county service (major metro area) for residents it was quite cheap about 100 or so, for non-residents much more expensive

At the small county service I ran - the bills averaged about 400-1000 depending on what I did

At AMR in independence about 10 years ago the rate for a als call was about 1000 or so

At the other small service I worked for our average was about 500 per call ALS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.