Post Running Headaches

26 y/o female c/o of severe pressure type headache 3-4 hours after jogging x 4 months. Recently headaches have become more severe with nausea and vomiting. Often pain is not relieved by Advil and/or Tylenol, headache dissipates only after sleep.

Medical history: Minor asthma

KNDA

Meds: Oral contraceptive, Ventolin prn (used rarely)

BP 120/80, HR 80 reg, RR 16

This may be a stumper...................

Effort migraine

Effort migraine is common among people playing a variety of sports and seems to be linked to sudden intense aerobic exercise and a rise in body temperature, which may cause changes in the blood vessels of the brain. The person has usually had migraine before, although the symptoms may be slightly different. There may be 'prodromal' symptoms (warning symptoms such as flashing lights before the actual headache).

The headache is usually short-lived, lasting about four to six hours. Other typical migraine symptoms such as blurred vision may occur, but this symptom is slightly worrying as it can also be a sign of other causes of headache during exercise. Very occasionally, as with other types of migraine, effort migraine may lead to a stroke.

Treatment includes the usual medicines for migraine, including preventative ones. Some people have reported that a dose of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as ibuprofen, taken before exercise reduces the risk of developing a headache. Another tip is to try to avoid getting too hot as you exercise.

Exertional headache

Exertional headache was first described in 1932 and affects as many as one in 100 people. It too is usually benign. The typical picture is of a sudden severe throbbing pain, often at the back of the head, which settles down to a dull ache lasting up to six hours. It's probably linked to changes in blood pressure and blood vessels in the brain during exercise. Simple pain relief is usually all that's needed.

Cervicogenic headache

A third type of exercise headache is called cervicogenic headache, which is linked to problems in the muscles, joints and nerve structures of the spine in the neck. The symptoms include episodes of blurred vision. Treatment is aimed at resolving the cervical spine problems.

Dr Trisha Macnair, December 2005

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Well Scaramedic beat me to it, but the symptoms are consistent with the patient suffering from migraines, which as the "effort migraine" description illustrates can have numerous triggers. Inefficacy of Advil and Tylenol, nausea and vomiting, and relief through sleep -- sounds like a migraine to me! :|

Edited to add: This isn't a conclusion, just an observation based on the info provided. I would like to know how long she has been taking the oral contraceptive and if there has been any change in type or usage whatsoever.

Well possible cuases:

1. Cervicogenic headache

2. Aneurysm

3. Cardiac cephalgia. I would go with this due to the fact its relieved with rest. Usually more prominent in the older population.

Couple guess's? We would have to know a little more?

Also how long does she run and has that been constant lately. What are here vitals now and what is her max pulse when running if she knows. Is she photophobic with these headaches. Does she run by any chemical plants, gas storage facility, or any place where she could come into contact with any chemicals. Is the area she jogs in polluted.

Nice cut and paste Ace :wink: . However, none of these types of headache come on several hours post excercise.

I was too tired to type, I had been working in the yard all day. Sorry. :lol:

I mentioned effort HA because I use to have really bad headaches a few hours after working out. I was told they were exertion/effort headaches and to lay off the supplements I was taking, I did and the headaches stopped after a few weeks.

Peace,

Marty

I was too tired to type, I had been working in the yard all day. Sorry. :lol:

I mentioned effort HA because I use to have really bad headaches a few hours after working out. I was told they were exertion/effort headaches and to lay off the supplements I was taking, I did and the headaches stopped after a few weeks.

Peace,

Marty

What kind of suplements and how were they related to the headaches?

At the time of the headaches..

Whey protein

Creatine

Glutamine

Hydroxycut

Xenadrine

It was the last two I cut down on, I took the hydroxycut for the fat burning and the Exandrine for an energy boost. Probably not the best combo, but Xenadrine gave me a nice energy boost for the rest of the day since I used to work out early AM before I went on shift.

Peace,

Marty

How old is she hammer?

I know it is a stretch but look in to Arnold Chiari malformation. Just a shot in the dark.