where would you go?

Ok, i have a question for everone: if you were a new paramedic, with no attachments to a certain area of the country, and could choose almost anywhere in the U.S. to go and work, where would you go? I will be in this situation in approx 1 year, and I am looking to move away from Alabama. By the time I move, I will have about 6 months exp. as a paramedic, and about 3 years as a basic. Please keep in mind the livability factor of the city as well as the EMS service. Thanks for any input!!

Well; just what do you want out of life?

Are you looking for experience? -----a large metropolitan area, diversification of calls.

Are you looking for a life after your shift? ---- (me) Miami or Hawaii (also; both large metros)

Are you looking for the big money? ---- Industrial medicine or anywhere you most wear body armor as PPE.

So with that said, the decision you make is from what you want out of life. The sweet thing about that is you can change your mind whenever you want. You have no ties, so think out side the box. Live life to the fullest, you have but only one.

well, i guess what i want IS experience..but id also like a decent salary (i.e. overtime opportunity :|), Iraq is an interesting option..would anyone over there hire someone with only 5-6 months of paramedic experience? Also, I'd like to not have my head sawed off if i can help it, how dangerous is it over there?

does anyone know anything about grady in atlanta? how about ada in idaho? canada i dont think is an option due to reciprocity issues. anyone have know of a sweet place to work and live, id love to hear it! keep the suggestions coming!

Personally if it was me in that situation ( but hey what do I know) I have two words:

VEGAS BABY!

Las Vegas would be my choice:

1. Metro area

2. lots of Trauma

3. off shift environment/ down time is awesome

4. large variety of different cultures

5. Great trauma and teaching Hospitals

6. most important (VEgas women) lol

well, i guess what i want IS experience..but id also like a decent salary (i.e. overtime opportunity :|), Iraq is an interesting option..would anyone over there hire someone with only 5-6 months of paramedic experience? Also, I'd like to not have my head sawed off if i can help it, how dangerous is it over there?

does anyone know anything about grady in atlanta? how about ada in idaho? canada i dont think is an option due to reciprocity issues. anyone have know of a sweet place to work and live, id love to hear it! keep the suggestions coming!

Idaho is an awesome place to work...if its southern Idaho around Boise you have a metropolitan area, if its up in Northern Idaho you have the Couerd'Alane and Sandpoint area which is beautiful country around here, awesome medics to work with that will help you get your feet on the ground....and you may run into me once in awhile :) Anything goes here...we have some pretty wild calls. Plus you have lakes, mountains and rivers all around you...

You mentioned Idaho...look here:

http://www.adaparamedics.org/

And they're hiring, too! Get your butt in gear and apply!

I've conversed electronically with a guy who works there. From what it sounds like it's a great place to work. Not to mention it's Idaho. So if you're into outdoorsy type stuff you'd be in heaven.

Good luck.

-be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.