Question for ya all

Got a question for you guys.

Witnessed a MVC, not a bad one but a mvc nonetheless tonight. Right in front of me. I stopped and got out to help. Minor injuries. Pt. had neck, back and chest pain but no other related injuries. EMS and Fire was called. On Fire's arrival I identified myself as a medic and gave them a report. They then took over.

I then left.

Was it wrong of me to leave??? I know that the law says that you turn over to the same level provider as yourself but I was not working, no equipment or anything.

should I have left or waited for EMS??????

Nothing you could have done. I'm sure the fire crew had more medical equipment then you have, and are capable of managing the patient. Here in Texas, you have to be an EMT-B to be a commission certified firefighter. I think we have a few issues out in rural Texas, but for the most part every volunteer crew even has an EMT on it (around here at least).

I usually don't even stop. I did once and got stuck in the middle of a lawsuit that was more of a "he said, she said" then anything productive. I wish I could have never stopped, and for the most part...I don't anymore when off duty.

If I had stopped, I would have left after first responders arrived on scene based on the scenario given. Your not on duty and have no duty to act (at least here in good ol' NC), your just acting as a good samaritan.

I think that since you had no ALS supplies and can not perform ALS interventions while off duty, that in effect you were acting as a EMT-B. The only thing you could actually do was an assessment which it sounds like you did and then you gave a brief report to the personnel that arrived on scene. You then left the scene after transferring care to on duty personnel, whom had medical equipment and could perform interventions. Also I would like to commend you for stopping. If that was my family member that had an MVC and someone was able to get to them right away and if do nothing more than let them no that they are going to be okay i think that helps a lot. Its our job to help people on or off duty, and we can still at least stop make sure everyone is allright and comfort them until help arrives.

I agree with Spykes. Essentially you were acting as a CFR or EMT-B, with absolutely zero equipment.

Up here in NY, I'll stop, however I won't identify myself as an EMT. NYS's Good Samaritan law will cover me, until I identify myself. Then, if something goes wrong, I can't get sued.

If I had stopped, I would have left after first responders arrived on scene based on the scenario given. Your not on duty and have no duty to act (at least here in good ol' NC), your just acting as a good samaritan.

Wrong your. wrong your. wrong your. wrong your. wrong your. wrong your! YOU'RE for YOU ARE. :x :x :x Seriously, I see this SO MUCH and it pisses me off.

As for the actual thread, it would have been better not to stop, but you did nothing wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.