Ethanol for Methanol or Ethylene Glycol Poisoning

Have you ever administered Ethanol (standard dose 30 - 60ml of 80 proof) for a Methanol or Ethylene Glycol poisoning?

I know most hospital pharmacies carry a range of alcoholic beverages, but does your ambulance carry a small amount in your drug box? Is it something you think your service should carry? If not, does your service carry fomepizole?

To those who have never heard of this before, ethanol has a higher affinity for the metabolities that convert methanol and ethylene glycol to more toxic substances, such as formaldehyde, and formic acid (inducing massive metabolic acidosis).

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Yes in fact I have. We had a 3 year old who drank antifreeze out of a cup that her dad had poured. It smelled good and tasted sweet.

She got a alcohol drip.

The only things we were told to look out for was Deep Tendon Reflexes and LOC for the alcohol effects

I got a excellent briefing on deep tendon reflexes and tested them throughout the transport.

The little girl was an angel and the trip was really fun - 200 miles in the back of an ambulance. Thank god for inverters and TV/VCR combos.

Yes I have, but no we don't stock it.

Time was a bottle of 80+ proof was required equipment for an ambulance in the state of AZ. Then someone found out more of the whiskey was being used for personal consumption than therapeutic effect, and it was eliminated.

Volunteer departments really look at you funny when you tell them to go buy a bottle of Jack Daniel's for a patient.

and lets not forget the use of nitrous oxide by people other than patients. I know for a fact that it was used by crewmembers at one ambulance system I worked for.

Peace out

The two times I have worked Ethyline glycol cases...we stopped by the State Store on the way in and got what the patient needed....Only wish we could have gotten what "we" needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.