Scuba diving related incidences

Back in 1994 my cousin was a scuba diver instructor NUAI/PADI, he had taken a group of ppl to Waterton lakes (AB)to dive, the day before I saw him and we chatted about what his plans were and that I would see him Monday.

Saturday came and by the suppertime there was an accident in Waterton, that shocked and stunned me right away, apparently there were 2 men, 1 severely injured and was being flown to Foothills here in Calgary by Stars, the other person in general was doa. My Dad called me and asked if I heard from my cousin, and I said I saw him on friday, he seemed fine it's like a normal routine as always. Then my other line beeped, it was my other cousin, he was all upset and I had a heck of time calming him down from the shock.

He told me that Bob (cousin) was filling tanks up and went and turned to get another tank when he heard a hissing noise, when he came back to inspect it, that 1200 psi missile exploded, blowing bob out of the way killing him instantly and that banana tank as the RCMP put it land 45 feet off shore.

I dont think ppl realize the consequences when they think everything is a ok, has anyone ever had something like this happen and what was the outcome?

Windsong, not really a whole lot of diving where I live, however, I have a link to an article on a diving disaster. This is a great account of the life and death of David Shaw. I believe that to this date he holds the record for "deepest dive on a rebreather." The article also describes an incredible account of Don Shirley's (David Shaw's friend and dive buddy) quest for survival in the depths of the cave.

EDIT: You are correct about disaster occurring when you least expect it. The scary thing about diving is you are totally isolated from the terrestrial world. You could be in danger and only 80 feet from the surface, but you may as well be orbiting Alpha Centauri.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/2...ave-shaw-1.html

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.