3 wishes for EMS

2. EMS pants that fit perfectly :D

I think that would take a miracle. In 7 years I've never had a pair of pants in which the waistband didn't bump into my ribs (or come above them), in which the hip-to-waist ration was reasonable, and only recently found some in which the side pockets are actually at my thighs, rather than at my knees.

If I may add:

2a. And everyone wears the correct size - nothing skin tight on people that shouldn't wear skin tight clothing!

1. No egos in EMS :D:lol::lol: :twisted: :evil:

2. Autopilot so the ambulance can drive its self 8)

3. 911 dispatchers that get directions right the first time........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

mmmm....only 3 wishes, and let me guess, no wishing for more wishes.....

1.) An educational standard for all EMS training. No more of this, well, I just finished my EMT and now I am in Paramedic school. Make the educators responsible for what they are putting out.

2.) A recognition of EMS as a PROFESSION, not something that bucket heads do because they have to. Recognition for those of us who pay the bills through EMS pay (of course, once it is recognized as a profession, the money will have to increase)

3.) National funding for EMS on a par with Fire and Police. Let us get hold of some of that homeland security money that everyone else has blown on things they will never use. I'm sure we could find some really usefully expensive things out there to equip our ambulances with.

1. Better paycheque every 2 weeks

2. No more political bull-$hit when it comes to EMS

3. Co-workers who treat you as equals, don't think that they can walk on water, and don't treat you as if you're dirt under their feet, just because they have more senority that you, or because they've worked in a higher call-volume area than you.

[/font:72178d48c4] I know we are not suposed to repeat what others have said, but aren't we all looking for the same things?

1. Be treated with respect. We are professionals. People that do what we do in hospital are paid much more to work in an organized environment with plenty of help around. Our butts are out in the dark, in the middle of a highway, in the rain, with very little assistance. We are dedicated professionals who put our lives on the line every day. Treat us with respect!

2. Someone to watch over the training. I know instructors who have taught 12 hour ICS classes in 2 hours and 24 hour refresher classes in 4 hours. What did those students actually learn????? That's why we get idiots for partners!!!

3. People who take care of the rigs and the equipment. People who leave the O2 bottle empty or forget to restock the bus make me crazy! There is nothing more frustrating or dangerous to our patients than not having the tools to do our jobs.

1. Work Ethic to return to EMS. I have never met a lazier group of people than those within this industry.

2. Inclusion of EMS in more research driven projects in medicine.

3. Increasing and streamlining the educational requirements and standards for EMS educators across the US

Sarcasm:

1. Hot, straight female partners that aren't dumb, dimwitted, or slutty (no sloppy seconds and no code 3 club, sorry)

2. Pneumatic tube systems between the local hospitals and their near by SNFs (say, any SNF within 2 miles) that can discharge the patient to the snf or deliver the patient to the ER from the SNF.

3. ER nurses who have attitudes more like ER doctors (ever notice how, at least BLS, when giving report to a doctor, that all they want in name, age, CC, and any important information (i.e. unwitness fall, pt moved pta to wheel chair, no change in LOC per staff), whereas nurses want everything (hx, allergies, PMD, etc).

Serious:

1. Increased education standards being taught by people who know what they are talking about. Paramedics do not always make the best BLS instructors. No matter the level you are at, if you are giving [or "assisting"] a drug (no matter if it is prepresecribed or not [epi pens, nitro, etc]), you should at the very least know what it does, if not know the mechanism for it. Especially if it isn't preprescribed.

2. Elimination of fire based EMS for most of the country (nothing against FFs, but patient care and fighting fires are only related by being dispatched by 911 and having a vehicle with flashing lights and a siren).

3. Increased benefits to attract and keep qualified individuals who are more interested in medicine and patient care then playing with the lights and sirens or trying to get into the FD.

1. More people who not only had the skills and knowledge for the job but also the heart. To many good EMT's get drug down in the EMS drama & BS, they seem to lose the love of the job.

2. A "EASY BUTTON" that could remove annoying pts family members or even that stupid driver (Car included) who is talking on the cell phone, etc.... and not paying attention that we are behind them trying to get by.

3. The ability for all EMT's and those in charge of the EMT Service thought with Common sense clearly.

I also agree with the other things posted. This is just what I came up that I don't think had already been posted.

my 3 wishes are personal

1. a paid position in this profession

2. a computer at home to try to improve my knowledge in this profession

2. that politicians would do ride alongs in really bad situation they would learn what life was about or at least listen to those in the field

Gerry

EMT-B 55

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.