Saving Lives

Rid,

Ultimately, the key words are as follows: If we do everything possible in the field that our license lvel allows, we are 'saved' from any and all liability incurred during treatment in the field.

In short, all Im saying is that the ER doc is sthe one to actally call it a 'save' or not. Just becasue we bring the pt back to spontaneous respirations, or even a steady pulse, or NSR....is it really a 'save'?

As long as we render the best pt care that we can, with the restriction sof our license levels.... as long as we have done everything humanly possible under the scope and protocols of our license levels...then and ONLY then are we 'protected'.

IF (and I stress the word 'IF' the EMT (?) screws up, neglects the pt or does not render proper care under the scope of their license level)...then by all means, hang them from the nearest tree!

I take great pride in the fact that I have maintained My license for 11 years with NO disciplinary actions EVER taken against Me. I know that Im not the only EMT out there that can brag about that, and thats how it should be..... We've all studied, trained and tested hard to get where we are (regardless of licensure level).

We all need to realize that life is fragile, and no matter how hard we try to 'save' that life......when God (or whatever higher power you belive) decides that its time for that person to go 'home'.....no matter what we do in the field, or in the hospital settings....we WILL fail.

It's a fact of life...that all life will cease at one time or another. We have no control over that..... but as long as we continue to render the best patient care...thats all we can really do.

Sometimes that thin (very thin) line between life and death will be broken, no matter what we do....

We see people and care for them for maybe 15 minutes, in my area at least. This is a team effort these people sometimes require hospitalization for months and months. Multiple surgery's, treatments, and rehabilitation.

People mistake the fact because we sometimes take them out of a dangerous enviorment or perform a treatment that makes them more comfortable, that we are actually the ones saving them. Untrue.

We start the process of saving a life, we do our part, whatever that might consist of. Then we transfer them to another member of the team, which in turn does their part, then transfers them to another team member, and so on, and so on. If everyone in that chain does and effective job in their time with that pt, then yes hopefully a life has been saved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.