the coolest thing that ever happened on a call!

madmedic8522

[/font:80800c4c02] this man approachs me and tells me that he would like to thank me.

It is times like that, that make me remember how much I love my job.

I've ran on some pretty bad accidents at one of the local motocross tracks here. I had a 15 year old kid that was paralyzed from the neck down after a crash and had to be flown out. We frequent that track and about 7 months after I ran into the kid and his dad. They were at the track revisiting the scene of the accident. The kid was in a wheelchair but had regained use of his arms (he had multiple c3 and c4 fractures but his spinal cord was intact!). He had an amazingly upbeat and positive attitude and told me how determined he was to walk again and how he couldn't wait to go riding. The kid's dad shook my hand, gave me a hug, and thanked me for taking care of his son.

It just takes one genuine "thank you"...and all the seemingly b.s. calls and unappreciative patients that curse and spit at you don't really matter in the big picture.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, i would like to say your guys' stories were Truly Awesome!

And I have one for you,

I’m only an EMR, Finished my EMT-A Schooling a few months ago and did my ambulance practicum this last July.

We get called for a Patient transfer, From the General Hospital to the Psychiatric Center 30 min away.

35 y/o Female was picked up by RCMP the previous evening running down the street Butt Naked.

So we arrive at the hospital and as we approach the front desk we walk by this room. A Female was standing, tapping her one leg, staring at the roof, Clapping, as if she was dancing.

And at the time, my first thoughts were…. “Please Not Her….”

Sure enough, she was the patient we were taking. She was accompanied by 3 security guards, all wearing black gloves. My Partner and I introduced ourselves to the patient who seemed at the time rather normal. We got to the ambulance, and as soon as she seen it, she gripped my arm and was suddenly scared.

“No! Not an Ambulance!” She said, and proceeded to tell me how she was scared of enclosed areas.

After some encouragement, and after telling her, I will be right beside her the WHOLE trip, she agrees. She gets on the stretcher and we get into the ambulance. Our friendly security guards who were watching her the whole time were standing at the back of the ambulance.

Suddenly she became very agitated, and were certain the security guards were after her, because they were wearing gloves, she didn’t trust them, and INSISTED they take them off. They Did, and she immediately calmed down. Then she looked at me, seen that I had gloves. “Please, Please can you take your gloves off…your scaring me!”

I calmly took my gloves off and asked, “Is that better”

She said yes. So we finally got rolling, and she looked at me.

“Can you take your glasses off? Your glasses are scaring me”

I asked her why, and she said, that she Couldn’t look into my Soul because my glasses were blocking her.

I took off my glasses, a little dumbfounded by the statement, I mean…what do you say to that ? So I asked if that’s better, and she said Yeah. I asked her “so what do you see in my soul”

She said that she sees that I’m a nice guy….and I like to Gel my Hair. (I happen to have my hair Gelled that day, not sure what that has to do with my soul)

THEN, after seeing I was such a nice guy, she wanted to Write a song! She proceeds to tell me that she’s a Kindergarten Teacher who writes songs. So she starts clapping her hands and bobbing her head up and down, and she INSISTED that I come along.

So theres me and the patient Bee Bopping in the back of our unit.

But, I was so off key, we re tried 5 times and she decided I was hopeless so we quit that.

Then she proceeds to tell me, her story, the fact that she was #1 of the TOP 3 RICHEST people in the world.

I asked her how she came to be that way and she said its all because of her mission, to save the world from Abuse.

I told her that’s a pretty Noble Mission. And then she had to tell me that she was abused, and she INSISTED I look at her bruises, so she stripped herself butt naked on the stretcher and showed me the bruises on her legs.

After covering her with a blanket, she began to tell me how she does this mission. Her and her 3 MOST TRUSTED friends (who were # 2 and # 3 of the RICHEST in the world) Time Travels, back to the age of the Dinosaurs and forward thousands of years to save the world.

And she tried to teach me to time travel.

“FIRST” she says, “you have to look at your watch at all times, DO NOT look away and tell me every time it changes!”

So I ask “So do I tell you when the Minutes change? Or the seconds?”

“Just tell me when it changes”

So I tried.

The time was 11 35 11 and I told her “ok its now 11 35 12” and I looked up at her.

Well she didn’t like that. “LOOK AT YOUR WATCH OR ITS NOT GOING TO WORK!” Well we tried this a dozen and a half times and needless to say, I didn’t get to experience the time travel thing.

Once we got to the Hospital, she insisted the entire hospital needed to see the proof of her abuse and stripped and began running down the hallway…

Needless to say, it was my most entertaining patient I ever had.

Sorry for the Novelization, but a nutshell version wouldn’t have been as good.

Something i found interesting on one of our calls.

We did a transfur, a Cardiac patient, going in for some sort of Tests, had one previous Heart attack a while back.

It was a simple patient transfur, took vitals and talked to him, thats it.

He sent us a Thank you Card, expressing his gratitude and thanked us for all we did for him, our support and 'friendship' with our short time we spent with him.,

I geuss we dont need to do anything huge to make a difference for someone

It was nice getting so much appreciation from someone, as simple of a call that it was.

okay you got me thinking, this happened several years ago. car 18 wheeler head on, 9yr old not wearing seat belt properly folded over under dash. end result lacerated liver.

followed up after she was in hospital. doc who did surgery (one of top 10 pedi surgons in world) said I saved this girls life. "... bought the time to get her to surgery" went in to visit girl, her mom was there, kid that doesn't smile alot gave me a big smile. long story short, her smile made it all worth while. Doc's comment didn't hurt either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.