Pocket reference

I will half-second AZCEPs recommendation.

I too recommend you don't get a pocket guide because a.) you probably won't use it, and b.) it tempts you to use it as a crutch instead of just learning your $hit.

But I dissent from the recommendation to get a PDA program for the same reasons. You should be learning your $hit, not looking for excuses not to.

Make your own field guide. By looking up, typing up, and printing up all that info, you will be engaging in a form of study that will result in learning. That should be your goal... to learn. Then, you won't even have to use the guide you just made, because by making it, you learned the material. That is why good instructors will have you make your own drug cards rather than buy them.

Worked for me. Works for most. Good luck!

Except some of us have vary little free time.

I personally have a PDA which has proven itself invaluable on several occasions. Especially on the topics of medications, adverse reactions, overdose symptoms etc. My service may be to substandard but our pockets just aren't big enough for the CPS .VSyNuIIKxp04SQNd1nxOWfNedK2S.jpg

I agree with not using a field guide as a "crutch" for bad assessment skills. I got myself an Informed EMS field guide a while back, and it's been a nice quick study tool, I've never used it while on clinical or in the field. It just gets in the way really.

However, one thing I think would be a really great tool is a pocket pharmacopeia or some kind of drug list... There are a zillion drugs out there and it's impossible to know all of them. I like to think I'm familliar with about 100-150 of them, which leaves about 999,999,900 drugs that I'm not familliar with...

So, any suggestions for a good drug reference guide? I've heard Epocrates mentioned, and some medics I know like it, but I'm not really willing to go drop a few hundred on a PDA AND software... Ideally I'd like a Rx guide that's portable, handy, thorough, and relatively inexpensive. Oh, and durable, since it'll be in my pants pocket most of the time... 8)

I agree with AZCEP. I have a PDA and use Epocrates for my drug guide. It feature the latest formularies and I can look up several meds and see how they are going to interact.

I have a new iPaq and have Epocrates as well. My wife also uses it in the ER. If you have the money, a good PDA and good software is your best bet.

I've found having more than one software package loaded on my PDA to be the best set up.

ePocrates and Pepid are the one's I've got now. The combination works really well. Some things that ePocrates is weak on, the Pepid fills nicely. These are just the brands I'm using. There are thousands of others that will work just as well, and perhaps better.

Ok so the consensus seems to be that a PDA and a good software package (epocrates and others) is the way to go. I've actually used epocrates before and I quite liked it.

Now for another question... Any particular PDA that comes recommended for use in EMS? I'm going to check reviews on cnet.com but I just wanted you guys' opinion. Your input would be much appreciated!

:lol:

I still like the good old waterproof booklet. Call me old school, but I have had terrible luck with anything electronic. My field guide never crashes, runs low on power, or breaks if dropped or exposed to the elements. True, you can up grade the PDA, but the good old permanent marker works well for me. :lol: In addition, the guide is more of a quick double check reference, not something that I use in place of a good understanding of medications, procedures, and patient care. However, other people I work with love their PDA and have not experienced the problems that I did.

Take care,

chbare.

Ok so the consensus seems to be that a PDA and a good software package (epocrates and others) is the way to go. I've actually used epocrates before and I quite liked it.

Now for another question... Any particular PDA that comes recommended for use in EMS? I'm going to check reviews on cnet.com but I just wanted you guys' opinion. Your input would be much appreciated!

:lol:

My wife had the Palm. There used to be more medical software out there for Palm, but that has changed. Now it is available for all operating systems. My wife's Palm died and we bought a iPaq. So far it has been great and I haven't had any issues finding software for it. I used to have a Dell Axim and it was a piece of crap. In my humble opinion, I like the iPaq.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.