Pocket reference

Can anyone recomend a BLS pocket reference? I'm a spankin new EMT and I remember my instructor saying he carried a pocket sized reference guide that contained Vitals by age/gender ect. Seems like a good thing for me as I have a hard time with numba's....lotta dead brain cells in there. :oops:

Freshmeat, Informed makes some good pocket guides. They make BLS and ALS guides. I like the "Emergency & Critical Care guide," try www.informedguides.com .

Take care,

chbare.

• 1 month later...

I third it...I for one think that there is some value in the EMT-B carrying the ALS version.... but, of course I've been an EMT since Dust was just a baby....

:shock:

I will be the voice of dissent for this topic.

I carried a pocket guide of one form or another for 10+ years and used it once to look something up. Even with the repeated updates, I never found one that I could rely on to have the information I needed when I needed it. Especially, with the number of new prescription medications that are released on a daily basis.

If you want to invest in your future, might I suggest one of the numerous PDA's. Palm and Pocket PC are both decent operating systems, and for some you can incorporate the PDA functions into your cell phone, and eliminate one more thing to carry.

There are a number of different downloadable resources that update frequently, so you can stay ahead of the curve.

Yes, they are more expensive, but they are well worth the cost. Before you decide one way or another, you might give one a look.

I'll second AZCEP's suggestion of a PDA. I use a Palm and it works very well.

I don't currently have the cell phone/PDA that AZCEP mentions. However, it's something that I'm looking into as there is an awful lot to be said for consolidation of some electronic equipment.

Yes, it's a little more costly. But I agree that you'll be better served in the long run.

Good luck!

-be safe.

I will half-second AZCEPs recommendation.

I too recommend you don't get a pocket guide because a.) you probably won't use it, and b.) it tempts you to use it as a crutch instead of just learning your $hit.

But I dissent from the recommendation to get a PDA program for the same reasons. You should be learning your $hit, not looking for excuses not to.

Make your own field guide. By looking up, typing up, and printing up all that info, you will be engaging in a form of study that will result in learning. That should be your goal... to learn. Then, you won't even have to use the guide you just made, because by making it, you learned the material. That is why good instructors will have you make your own drug cards rather than buy them.

Worked for me. Works for most. Good luck!

In going with the same topic of field references, Ive been recommended "The Streetmedics Handbook"- That is different from a BLS reference, more aimed at looking at differential diagnosis in patients (as I understand anyways). Anyone used this? (sorry if this is a thread hijack :lol:)

The most useful thing I've found from a pocket reference is the prescription drug list, and that is why I would recommend an easily updated electronic version over one that you have to buy a new one every few years.

The drugs are being introduced daily in such numbers it is near impossible to keep some of them straight. The interactions of the new with what we carry is one of my concerns, so the updates are easily available.

I agree with Dust's suggestion not to buy one to use because you don't know how to do an assessment, or can't remember which questions to ask when. Learn those things so you can do them in your sleep. Someday you may have to. :lol:

I agree with AZCEP. I have a PDA and use Epocrates for my drug guide. It feature the latest formularies and I can look up several meds and see how they are going to interact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.