Who's "on call?"

This question is for members of paid services. Does your service rely on "on call" personnel? Secondly, if so how does your "on call" program work? And lastly, what are your opinions on your system/or using "on call" personnel in general? I've seen a few different models and I'm just curious what else is out there and how common it is. Virtually every service in my area has some type of "on call" program in effect. And each has a different way of handling it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question is for members of paid services. Does your service rely on "on call" personnel? Secondly, if so how does your "on call" program work? And lastly, what are your opinions on your system/or using "on call" personnel in general? I've seen a few different models and I'm just curious what else is out there and how common it is. Virtually every service in my area has some type of "on call" program in effect. And each has a different way of handling it.

In my current fulltime service:

We work two shifts- day shift runs 0800-1800, and the night shift works 1800-0800. If you work the day shift, you are 'on call' for the night shift, and vice versa. Leads to some issues, as the day crews work 4 days a week, and have more [56 hours total] of 'back up duty' - where we need to be within a 15 minute radius of the station. Night shifts work 3 nights, for 42 hours a week, with only 30 hours of back up duty. It's not optimal by any means, but it gets coverage completed. On call, or rather 'Back up' is mandatory...And not reimbursed. If you get called in, it's 2 hours minimum pay.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

Company claims there's 'No other way' to provide staffing requirements. We're kinda researching this 'back up' for 'on call'. Although our company states its withing the law, we're not all completely sold on it yet.

My service does not use "on-call" for EMTs, but they do for chair-car. I'm posting it because it may work for EMS as well, even if my company does not use it for that purpose.

On some days of the week/holidays, they pay chair-car drivers a set amount to be "on-call", and stipulate that they live within a certain distance of the base. If they come in, they punch in and are paid by hour. If they don't come in, they just get the "on-call" stipend for the day.

My service does not use "on-call" for EMTs, but they do for chair-car. I'm posting it because it may work for EMS as well, even if my company does not use it for that purpose.

On some days of the week/holidays, they pay chair-car drivers a set amount to be "on-call", and stipulate that they live within a certain distance of the base. If they come in, they punch in and are paid by hour. If they don't come in, they just get the "on-call" stipend for the day.

What is a "chair-car"?

And no. My service has full time paid employees who come to work and stay there for the whole shift, often working the entire time.

I come to work for my regular rotation, 24 on/72 off. Nobody is on call during their time off, we staff appropriatly to have enough units to respond at any time. We have a one minute out of chute time before 2200 and a two minute out of chute time after 2200, thank jebus nobody has to wait for medics to come from home before they get an ambulance on the road.

The service I plan on working for has an 0700-1900 shift, then a manditory 1900-0700 on call that comes automatically with each day shift. So 12 hrs at the base and 12 hrs on call at home- not too bad- I didnt mind it when I rode out there.

I come to work for my regular rotation, 24 on/72 off. Nobody is on call during their time off, we staff appropriatly to have enough units to respond at any time. We have a one minute out of chute time before 2200 and a two minute out of chute time after 2200, thank jebus nobody has to wait for medics to come from home before they get an ambulance on the road.

Kinda an issue we're having. Technically, Medics [only work night shifts...] are not required to be at the station while on back up. They have the same 15 minute policy, and we cover several other municipalities for Paramedic Intercepts. No where in any contract is it mentioned that you 'may not get a medic for 15 minutes, plus driving time.'

I'm not sure about the other Medic, but I just stay at the station. Yes, I get the privilege to volunteer time. On the plus side, there's nothing to do within 15 minutes of the station, anyways. So, at least I'm not missing much?

Our shifts run 2000-0800 on call, followed by a day shift of 0800-2000 on site. Every 12 hours on site has a complementary on call during wich there is no staff on site.

Chute time goals for on site is 1:30, and for on call is 7:59

We are paid 2.50/hour for on call with a minimum of 4 hours time and a half (just under $40/hr) if we get called out during our on call. It's a good deal when it's slow, not so good when we're busy.

Our shifts run 2000-0800 on call, followed by a day shift of 0800-2000 on site. Every 12 hours on site has a complementary on call during wich there is no staff on site.

Chute time goals for on site is 1:30, and for on call is 7:59

We are paid 2.50/hour for on call with a minimum of 4 hours time and a half (just under $40/hr) if we get called out during our on call. It's a good deal when it's slow, not so good when we're busy.

At least that sounds legal. How busy is your system, Acosell?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.