Telemedicine rigs coming to all Virgin jets

Interesting:

Virgin Atlantic today announced that it will be introducing Tempus, the telemedicine device designed for use by non-medical experts during a remote medical emergency, onto its aircraft. The airline has signed a deal up until 2009 which means that all Virgin Atlantic aircraft in the fleet will be fitted with the equipment.

Tempus uses the satellite technology that operates Virgin Atlantic’s onboard telephone system to transmit medical information such as pulse rate and blood pressure readings as well as video images to medical experts at the MedAire Centre in Phoenix, Arizona. The ground-based doctors can then diagnose the problem and advise the crew on the next course of action, enabling crew to use their medical training to assist the passenger.

Steve Ridgway, chief executive of Virgin Atlantic, welcomed the introduction of the technology;

“The safety and welfare of our passenger is of paramount importance. Virgin Atlantic has used the original telemedicine system, MedLink, for many years, but Tempus’ advanced technology significantly increases the airline’s onboard medical provision.”

Graham Murphy, Managing Director of RDT, said;

“We are really pleased to be installing Tempus across Virgin Atlantic’s fleet of aircraft, and are delighted that the contract covers fleet expansion.”

Virgin Atlantic was the first airline to introduce defibrillators across its fleet and has used the MedLink remote doctor service, for many years. But Tempus’ advanced technology significantly increases the airline’s onboard medical provision. Cabin Crew will have expert help to differentiate between serious and non-serious incidents and do not have to make crucial medical decisions nor interpret medical information themselves. As with defibrillators, it is expected that this technology will soon be adopted as industry standard.

(Originally found here)

Complete waste of money.

Virgin just got sold a bill of goods.

There's a sucker born every minute. :roll:

Yeah, I'm with dustdevil on this one...

Why not just train flight attendants how to use O2 and AED? They're all supposed to be CPR and first aid trained, and the AED and 02 training is usually only an additional 6 hours or so... Furthermore, what is a doctor (or even team of doctors) on the ground going to do for someone at 30,000 feet? Sure they can maybe make a tentative diagnosis, but so what? If they decided someone needed an antiarrhythmic drug or a surgical procedure, that'll have to wait until the aircraft lands.

Who knows, maybe doctors will be able to order certain treatments via this apparatus... Of course that would mean people on board would have to be certified to perform controlled medical acts. If they were, then that sort raises the issue of why not just give them standing orders and education to be able to treat without always contacting a physician. They'd call these people......... paramedics!

So yeah... they can give flight crews O2 and AED training, or have paramedics on every flight... I imagine they'd opt for the former...

Telemedicine definitely has its place, but not on aircraft...

Well, isn't that SPECIAL. It's funny because most airlines won't release their medical kits to an EMT or Paramedic so how is this going to 'save lives'?

I've assisted twice on board aircraft and never had a problem with this. The first case we wound up diverted to Iceland on my recommendation after I told the copilot I really wasn't in the mood to work a cardiac arrest and we need to land ASAP; I spoke with a doc on the ground and he agreed with my assessment, authorized me to do what I asked to do and we diverted from our regularly scheduled landing in Chicago.

The other case was a COPDer who became hypoxic at altitude and the flight attendant gave me the medical kit without question.

I don't know what your problems stemmed from Kev.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.