Dispatched to a call "unknown".

I still want to know what a Patten airway is. Who inserted it? And how did they do it with him conscious, alert, and in the prone position?

And yes, I have searched here and Google. Nothing.

[stream:dc2d51f6a6]http://www.destgulch.com/movies/luke/luke18.wav[/stream:dc2d51f6a6]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now..now guys....I appreciate everyone's help......and compartment syndrome has 5 P's

pain

parestheias

passive stretch

pressure

pulselessness

Thank you both. :lol:

Explain passive stretch. I'm not familiar.

Compartment syndrome usually occurs in the lower limbs or forearms due to the finite amount of space in these locations. Injury causes swelling but the forearm and leg can only expand outwards so much, so after a certain point the swelling begins to impinge upon nerve and blood vessels compromising distal sensation and circulation etc. The muscles are incased in fascia, a thin layer of connective tissue (which doesn't stretch) so they also can only swell to a certain point. Hence, the "compartment". Am I explaining this well? This is just from memory, which is severely damaged BTW due to recreational activities :wink: joke. But anyway. You will find with these pt's a seemingly imbalanced amount of pain to the appearing severity of the injury. Of course, you will also have distal circulatory and sensory/motor deficits.

Treatment in hospital includes fasciotomy to release some of the pressure (since that is what's doing the damage).

Crush syndrome is basically cells rupturing (from being crushed :roll:) and this is bad. We prefer to keep what is inside the cells inside, and outside, outside. Namely potassium. Potassium can cause cardiac arrhythmias and death. If a person is crushed by a heavy object they can present as fully canscious and alert and seemingly doing well until the object is removed. This is due to the return of circulation to injured areas which in turn carries toxins to the rest of the body. Please Google for further information.

Helpful?

well, I guess I am just saying/thinking-- you can't do oral with a gag reflex & if the situation went bad and pt goes unresponsive and does not react to painful stimuli then why would I do an oral instead of combi....just thinking that with 8000 plus pounds that if this pt goes down he will not respond to anything....

Thank goodness this did not happen..

I missed this...

TZETAH, no offense, but things you are saying in this thread seem to be going in all directions...Are you an EMT-B or EMT-P? I am going to assume you are an EMT-P since you appear to be discussing intubation, but yet you didn't know what compartment syndrome was? The above quote I honestly don't know what you are saying on several levels...But primarily you don't see why oral intuabtion would be attempted/used on scene rather than a combitube? I don't gets, unless when you are saying "oral" and "nasal" you are referring to an OPA and NPA. Then I guess you are an EMT-B and yes a CT would be the most appropriate, plus other things in this thread would make more sense.

I still want to know what a Patten airway is. Who inserted it? And how did they do it with him conscious, alert, and in the prone position?

And yes, I have searched here and Google. Nothing.

You just spelled it wrong. paten Clearly this is what was being referred to. :roll: :lol:

Well, I would always do an OPA or NPA before a CT, but wouldn't you want to get as much air into the pt that has been crushed and you suspect that he has a possible collapsed lung? Or would an OPA be accurate?

vs-eh? wrote-

plus other things in this thread would make more sense.

Like what???? I presented a senario add a few tid bits and you guys took it from there. I in the mix of it all I learned a few things.

No offense taken. thank you :lol: 8)

Excuse me---patent airway---sorry for the miss spelling and I never stated that anything way inserted.

You didn't? Then what was this all about about? You said the patient had an "patten" airway, and went on to describe it as thus:

a smaller combi-tube.

Goes in easier, and is best used for all adults unless you have a really big guy.

And how were you bagging a prone patient?

This just isn't adding up at all.

[stream:d8727bcce0]http://www.destgulch.com/movies/luke/luke18.wav[/stream:d8727bcce0]

First of all why don't you start from the beginning of page one, perhaps this will help you to understand. Second, I didn't say I was bagging anyone--Please read scenario.

If you are as smart as you think you are, than why do you spend time picking out peoples faults (or what you seem to think is their faults) instead of teaching????

So far, since I have been on here, you have done nothing to help or enhance my knowledge only tried to discredit me.

These forums are set up to help people learn and to communicate for improvement--not bash and make them feel worthless!!!!!! That will help nobody in the field!!!!!!

Does this help you feel better about yourself???

Please read ---the entire scenario, including the other comments made by various other people--and then maybe it will help you to truly understand the conversation.

Have a great day!!!!!!! :lol: