How do you prepare for the first night shift?

Wow you all must live in different world, than some of us.. most of the nurses I know work at least 3 -4, 12 hr shifts at night, and some rotate from daytime. I even know of some helo pilots that work days one week and then nights the next.. even a friend of mine whom works non-medical works 2 nights one day then three on daytime ever week..

Believe it or not it not that unusual especially in health care.. not the best arrangement, but it happens a lot.

Good luck on getting your circadian rhythm down...

R/r 911

Like others have mentioned, I can't sleep on night shifts (or any shift for that matter). There's been a few times where I'll relax and close my eyes, but thats in one of the comfy chairs in front of the TV. If I were to lay down on a bed and close my eyes, I'd be fast asleep, and I'm such a heavy sleeper, there's no chance the tones would wake me up.

I have to be awake for my entire shift, if not, I'm not at optimal performance. It's a pain, but it's what I've come to know. To prepare for the shift, I just stay up as late as possible, then the night of my first night, I force myself to do all the mundane tasks around the base. Usually that includes a very thorough, comprehensive inventory of the ambulance and all gear inside. So if our checklist says the trauma bag is only suppose to have 5 band-aids, and there's 7 inside, well 2 are coming out! This usually kills a few hours after midnight, and the call volumes are generally less which provide the time. I've tried sleeping on nights, but like I said, I'm such a heavy sleeper, and it usually takes me 30 to 45 minutes to arouse all of my faculties completely, it's just not gonna happen.

The thing I dislike, is on my days off between night shifts, it really screws me up. I find during those 2 weeks or so, I really have no social/family life.

peace

Here's something I remember from Trauma. One of the doctor's has a pair of really dark sunglasses that he wears home following the night shift. No light means no stimulation of the hypothalamus means its easy to get to sleep because its still "night time.'

Thanks Nate for the typical American answer.. sue sue sue everybody for every little thing... Very helpful, thanks.

I could really careless what you think, it is hard to see a close friend in a wheel chair because an EMT slammed into his car after falling asleep at the wheel and running a red light. Sorry, but I take this stuff very serious. Forcing your self to stay awake when your tired IS NOT an acceptable solution in my eyes.

No where in this post have I stated that forcing yourself to stay awake is an acceptable solution. In fact, this whole thread is about ways to prepare yourself for night shift so that you will be rested and prepared to work nights so you do not have to force yourself to stay awake.

By actually contributing to this thread instead of posting smartass comments you will be a part of helping ensure people are not driving to calls tired.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

john

• Like 1

No where in this post have I stated that forcing yourself to stay awake is an acceptable solution. In fact, this whole thread is about ways to prepare yourself for night shift so that you will be rested and prepared to work nights so you do not have to force yourself to stay awake.

By actually contributing to this thread instead of posting smartass comments you will be a part of helping ensure people are not driving to calls tired.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

john

Like Dustdevil said, these shifts aren't any good and that you should seriously consider getting your union or talking to your management team about adjusting that kind of work schedule. Many of the chemical plants here in Texas have learned the hard way that working days one week, nights the next, and days after that leads to a number of problems including death.

You can take my comments however you want, I firm stand where I am because of what happened to my friend. I think it is stupid that someone would subject themselves to this kind of schedule knowing what could happen. Not everyone can adjust and work with this schedule, and I'd hate to see anyone find out it doesn't after they kill someone.

Twenty-four hour shifts aren't even that great in my eyes, but they work if your service isn't rolling non-stop 24/7. I know of to many people who have had accidents while working nights or 24's, and that is the reason why I watch my crews and tell them to speak up if they are to tired to run a call. I'd rather them admit they couldn't do it, then kill someone and live with that horror the rest of their lives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.