How do you prepare for the first night shift?

We work 24 hour on-call for six days, followed by three days off. Of course we have a fairly low call volume (rural), but if we do get called out late in the night then we're not expected to report for office hours in the morning. Then you just hope that you don't get another call as soon as you hit the sack.

I've worked nights since I was 17, previously on horse farms doing security/foal watching for three years while going through school. I've now solely worked on nights for almost five years in EMS. At first it was difficult for me to get used to. I really had a hard time adjusting as I tried to "live normal" on my days off. That is the worst thing you can do. I'm fortunate, we have a rotating truck schedule between four trucks as to who is first, second, third, fourth out. First crew is 6a to noon, then noon to 6, 6 to midnight, and midnight to 6. You go from 1st out to fourth, and gradually work your way up. Every truck is on the same rotation each shift, so you are pretty well guaranteed some sleep unless you have a major disaster happen. It works really well for our station. Some stations do things differently like 12 hour rotations in the smaller ones (I work in the busiest station) with just two trucks. My biggest thing is to really try to stay on a schedule and only come off it unless I absolutely have to. I typically get to sleep my six hours on shift from 6am to noon. We have a dark bunkroom and no windows, keep it nice and cool. Works well. At home, I keep that same schedule. I am primary truck always from midnight to 6 by choice, my partner likes that shift as do I, more to do, and we stay busy. We have two 9-5 trucks which we call our "five" trucks which does nothing but the doctors office and dialysis transfers. Those are staffed with overtime or part time workers. Is not a bad deal, perhaps discuss this idea with your co-workers of having a primary truck for part of the shift and a secondary truck. Most are pretty agreeable to that. Bottom line for adjusting to night shift, get room darkening blinds, keep your room comfortable for you to sleep in, try to keep a similar schedule to what you have at work (ie you wake up at 3 and go to bed at 9 on days you work, try to keep that routine, and avoid caffeine for at least an hour before you are due to get off shift to allow your body time to unwind before trying to sleep. This has helped me greatly. Good luck and enjoy nights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.