patient attire

Lithium

Do/will you dress your patient for the ER?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, for the most part works well!
    • No, never thought about it before but will give it a try!
    • Not a chance, tis not my job!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around here when we do a 12 lead we prefer to use the Johnny, if there is one available. But it's up to the medic of course. The ER staff appreciates it because it they are going to have the patient do it anyway. It allows them to do their assessment quicker.

A question for all services that have 12 leads, do you place your leads while the patient still has their clothes on?

Depends on what they have on, it can be a real PITA sometimes.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted "Tis Not My Job" for the one simple reason.. and it has nothing to do with not being my job.. It has to do with being an emergency service. When people call 911, we all assume the case is emergent. I do not subscribe to "camping out" on scene. If they are that sick that they need an ambulance, then they need an ER, not a sweatsuit or whatever.. i willl not waste the time dressing them, when you know the ER's going to put them in a gown anyway. I hve however, with unclad patients, attempt to grab a robe and throw it over them to preserve some sort of modesty.

Just my opinion.

8) no need to undress our patients other than to remove a jacket/sweater or roll up a sleeve for blood pressure.

we use monitors with three leads and it's not hard or does not take up too much time to apply leads to patient

that is fully clothed.

More critical patients that need emergency care get their clothes removed the easy way ( bandage sheers ).

Everything that needs to come off will come off depending on the patients condition and situation.

Our job is to provide pertinent care for our pts and transport them to the proper facilities,clean-up,re-supply,and

prepare for our next call. Sheets work really well for pts that have to be unclothed while enroute.

your brother in EMS, gods_medic :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

We carry gowns on our ambulances. There has only been one occasion when I needed one. This was on a transfer about 1 1/2 long where the patient had a rectal bleed, he had to move his bowels about every 30min. About an hour into the trip he didn't get onto the bed pan fast enough, made a mess over the gown and our cot, very unpleasent. Since then I've made sure we have at least one back-up gown on car.

To answer the question, no I don't believe in gowning up for the hosp.

Here's a good one though. We have one old nurse at our rural hosp (I think she has a touch of dementia) who yells at us for bringing in patients with their clothes cut off after a MVC. Very strange.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.