Fire away other EMS-ers..

PPrg wrote:

I must ask, cutting pockets whit? For all patients? Searching them? How do you decide who gets searched?

Nevermind, dont answer that. Its a civil rights violation no matter how you cut this.

You don't check pockets, what do you do? Hope you don't get stuck with a dirty heroin needle? If their is reason to believe and I cant ask due to your unresponsiveness, or there is paraphernalia around, you have track marks, or are laid out in a known drug area. Yeah I might cut your pockets. No we don't cut everyone, but we have done it?

My safety is of the utmost importance. If you give me a reason to believe you might want to harm me, or have a track record of doing it in the past. You going to be searched probably by the police if not by me.

I'm not strip searching anyone but checking the usual areas where a weapon might be kept, waist line, under the shoulder, or around your ankle.

I wish I worked in an area where the last thing I had to worry about was somone trying to hurt us, however I don't. So That's just the way it is.

Call it a search, a pat down, a thorough head to toe assessment. Whatever you need to call it, just make sure it gets done.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the distinct impression that whit hasn't spent much time in the real world.

Okay, so the patient who was perfectly calm and no threat to you, but happened to be illegally carrying a gun under his coat because he lives in a pretty bad neighbourhood, gets patted down by you and you find the gun. Now what?

Do you search purses too?

You better spend some time really thinking this stuff through, my friend. These half-baked ideas of yours are more likely to get you hurt than to protect you.

Dust Wrote:

I get the distinct impression that whit hasn't spent much time in the real world

No None. Fact is Ive spent a little to much time in the real world, your statements would conclude that you don't. If you believe everyone you come in contact with poses no threat to you. That's fine. I don't.

Okay, so the patient who was perfectly calm and no threat to you,

I believe I stated if the person poses a threat to me. Why would I search a person that was no threat to me? If he is illegally carrying a firearm, I'm assuming he has no problem using it. He just wont be using it on me.

You better spend some time really thinking this stuff through, my friend. These half-baked ideas of yours are more likely to get you hurt than to protect you.

You do it your way, and I will do it my way. I am going home in the morning.

Was that an attempt at humor. You failed miserably.

I'm glad you believe this is a humorous topic. I however take personal safety very seriously.

Savoy6 wrote:

BUT, emotion does not trump, as you say, the law or a person's rights.

I don't believe I stated anything about emotion.

The fact of the matter is. You should be a little more concerned about with personal safety. I have been in instances where my safety has been in jeopardy, therefore I have these beliefs.

Its not about a pissing contest. We have different protocols throughout this country to suit the surroundings, why wouldn't we have different policies that also suit your surroundings? My practices are defined by my experiences. If my experiences were different, my practices would reflect that.

I have a question for you. RID If you come in contact with an enemy soldier, that has just been shot. If you were to treat him, and transport him to your hospital. Would you leave him armed. He well within his right to be carrying a weapon. He is at war. I believe not, why? Because he is a threat to your safety.

Asys Wote:

My feeling is my life is a lot more important than my job, so if for whatever reason I think someone is carrying, they're not getting a ride to the hospital unless I'm confident they are no longer carrying. Heck, a lot of my patients have ended up at the hospital with cut pants pockets if I'm afraid they have something sharp in there. Legal or illegal, unless they are a licensed LEO, no one carries a loaded gun in an ambulance I'm riding on. AMS + firearm = dead EMT. The first rule of EMS is if you don't feel safe, don't be there.

Rid wrote:

Very awakening video Ays.. makes a good point, that all patients should be patted down and never ASSUME anything. One of the most dangerous situation I was placed in was from an 80 year old granny.. who wanted her purse to check to see if she had her medicare card. She did as well as a .38 caliber, in which she pointed at me .. and demanded we not take her to the nursing home.... we didn't. I never hand purse, medication bag(s), etc, without searching first, and I attempt to "patt" all patients down 1'st. I can't tell you how many patients arrive in ER "packing" ...

Hmmmmmm......... Interesting that my thoughts seem to have echoed the comments of these two posters. Yet I was the one told I was half baked, and hadn't spent enough time in the real world, and I was trampling on everyone's civil rights.

Quite typical of this forum.

Im not suprised.

I hate to be the mother hen here...but for the sake of all our future patients and the newbies looking to this site for inspiration/education...

WOULD EVERYONE PLEASE CHECK THEIR EGO'S WHEN THEY LOG IN????[/font:9f5059fec0]

Whit72, there is much to be learned from silence.

Silence is deafening

Possibly because it was FOUR FARKING A.M. HERE WHEN YOU POSTED THAT, NUMBNUTS!

I don't sit by the computer all night long waiting for your next post.

But, as it is, you can go back to waiting because your idiocy is not deserving of a reply. :roll:

I get the distinct impression that whit hasn't spent much time in the real world.

Okay, so the patient who was perfectly calm and no threat to you, but happened to be illegally carrying a gun under his coat because he lives in a pretty bad neighbourhood, gets patted down by you and you find the gun. Now what?

I have one thing to say to that:

:wav: =D> :thumbright: =D> :thumbright: =D> :thumbright: =D> :thumbright: =D>:thumbright: :wav:

And whit, that's not meant as personal:

I just feel that if a pt is going to be searched, it should be by a LEO. It cover's everyone's butts well.

Dust wrote:

Possibly because it was FOUR FARKING A.M. HERE WHEN YOU POSTED THAT, NUMBNUTS!

I don't sit by the computer all night long waiting for your next post.

But, as it is, you can go back to waiting because your idiocy is not deserving of a reply.

Hmmm......Did that answer my question? "Numbnuts" thats proffesional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.