NR Status

Are you Nationally Registered?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I am NR.
    • No, I am not NR.

Does your agency and/or state require you to maintain NR status?

1EMT-P, I believe the Army now requires NREMT-Basic for all 91W series MOS'. I am employed as a nurse for both a hospital and ground ambulance transfer service, neither of which require EMT credentials. I am registered as an I/85 and plan to re register. Plus, I have a special set of scrubs that I wear when I am scheduled to work with Paramedics. The scrubs have the NREMT-I patch on them and, and the going joke is that the Nurse is now only about 1000 hours away from being a Paramedic, and taking their jobs away from them. :lol:

Take care,

chbare.

AZ has a strange setup in my opinion.

For all initial certifications, NREMT is required as a standardized test. If you come in from outside the state with NR, you have to take a 48 hour refresher course. If you complete an AZ program, you have to take the NR test before they will certify you.

Once you are certified by the state, you can let your NR lapse without losing your certification level. As long as you keep your state card current, you are okay to work.

AZ has a strange setup in my opinion.

So then, apparently Arizona is where Texas got that retarded idea! :lol:

That's exactly what they are doing in Texas since they went with National registry.

Oklahoma, you have to be initially, Nationally Registered then you no longer have to be after the initial test or entry level. Oklahoma utilizes the NREMT test as the state license as well. Every EMS service I am aware of also requires you have to have maintain your NREMT certification as well. Since our state renewal is the same, the additional fee is the only difference in paper work. Like many other people, many prefer to have it as a back up for reciprocity..

Be safe,

R/r 911

PA is the same. NR is the state's paramedic exam. Pass that and you don't need to maintain it. However, PA is goofy in the sense that once you're certified it's a lifetime certification. To stay active you need 18 hours of con-ed a year and the sign off from your medical command physician. If you decide you want to take a year or 12 off all you have to do to come back is take 18 hours of con-ed, get hired and convince the MCP to sign off on you working.

Maryland requires NR for initial certification then passing the state protocol test for state licensure. So long as you maintain your NR you maintain your state license (yes, MD licenses their paramedics. Maine does, too.)

I keep my NR for a couple reasons. I'm not staying in one place yet. It has made some reciprocity issues easier (not much...but a little). And I worked too damn hard to just let it lapse.

-be safe.

Colorado requires NR for state certification, at least for the new EMT-B. With state certification good for three years and NR good for only two it would seem to make more sense to tie them both together here. It is early though and I should probably start some coffee. :lol:

Ok...here we go:

New Hampshire is a National registry state. They require you to hold your NREMT certificate, and a 'State Provider's License' - free of charge once you get your service's liaison to sign you as a member. If you have no affiliations with any services, no NH Provider's license. License: Free of charge

Maine, has their own way of things. Not 100% sure, but I believe they use their own exams, for their own State certificate. Licensure is the certificate itself. If you have NREMT, you only need to complete a paperwork shuffle that lasts about 2-3 months. Certificate shuffle: Free of charge

Vermont, similar. They have their own tiers- Emergency Care Attendant, Basic, I-98, I-03 [Yes, two separate Intermediate levels], and Paramedic. For Medic, It's equivalent of NR Exam. Otherwise, it's another paperwork shuffle to transfer in with NR. Except for intermediates. I's need to retest using VT's exams, at whichever intermediate certification [i-2003, or I-1998 I believe they are]...and then go from there. Certificate shuffle: Free of charge

Massachusetts: Someone has to be different. They are not NR, and don't care if you have NR. [gogo bureau of EMS wanting more money]. Any level, you have to take their written test for $150.00. If you have NR, and have taken it with a year, I think it is, you do not need to retake their practical stations. Practical stations are another $50.00, I believe. State Certificate is Licensure. Certificate shuffle: $150.00, and a day at Promissor taking their computerized exam.

I work in too many states.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.