I cant find a job

;):):D .. Almost pee'ed my pants !... Yeah, and the chances of that is higher than me winning the lottery on the first draw.... oh, if you believe being an EMT wil help you into medical school, then you would buy this slighlty used car..... only drove on Sundays by a little old lady...

R/r 911

Being an EMT will help getting into med school in that it gives you experience with patient contact. This is good. It can also help you write your admission essay. It's not considered a big boost, though...it's just one of many extra-curricular activities you could have, but it does fulfill the patient contact category.

There were two high school students in my EMTB class doing it for med school...they wanted to show their strong interest in emergency medicine and wanted to experience it from different aspects, not just in the ED receiving bay. I've also heard a number of doctors mention being EMTs before med school.

As far as the grammar, haro0501, I hope it's just that you were typing online and being lazy. When writing out thoughts, I routinely have typos and when I re-write posts, I tend to get a lot of extra words or broken thoughts, because I forgot to delete everything before re-writing or I added in words but they're out of place. I'm working on this... But at college, if I'm turning something in I'll pull an A/A- in writing classes, even from the hardest grader in the writing department.

PS It goes without saying that these extra activities would mean nothing if you don't have a superb writing skills, grades, recommendations, and most importantly MCAT scores.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, true be told, there is very little difference between a paramedic and a basic in the eyes of the admissions committie. It might actually go against you, more then anything else.

Might I suggest this thread (as well as forum)? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=238346

The site is geared mostly for med students (pre-med through residency). DocZ is over there, actually.

I think you're right that there is no advantage in the preclinical years. There is some advantage in terms of dealing with patients in the clinical years, but the above is correct: most med students do just fine without the experience. That could be because people expect so little of med students. Show up and have a good attitude and don't molest the patient, and you are well on your way to honors.
Ha! Reassuring...

I was thinking the same thing myself Anthony!

And how much would ya'll expect out of a medic student halfway through class? :roll:

Rotations are about exposure to different medical fields, not training. The specility training/education takes place after medical school in residency.

And how much would ya'll expect out of a medic student halfway through class? :roll:

Rotations are about exposure to different medical fields, not training. The specility training/education takes place after medical school in residency.

A Basic working knowledge would be nice.

Haro.....let me begin by apologizing for the posts that you received here, not all in EMS think as dust does. He can be quite the condescending ass at times. There is nothing wrong with any education that you may wish to pursue, and if you believe that being an EMT/Paramedic will make you a better MD then so be it. It can only help you with your bedside manner and give you an appreciation of prehospital providers. I will have to agree on some of the posts though, admission boards for med school look for a diverse background in education and experience, as well as high MCAT scores. Saying that, stay focused and don't let the opinions or statements of a few assholes persuade you from taking the course that you are choosing, some of us have decided to stay a paramedic and fore-go medical school and are happy that we made the choice. Good luck.

I quoted it mainly as a joke...obviously rotations are more than that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.