pt with COPD and CHF

FVFD441

Implied consent:

"Occurs when you assume the patient who is unresponsive or unable to make a rational decision, would consent to life-saving emergency care."

Prehospital Emergency Care pp. 34, Mistovich 7Th ed. (Brady)

Also applies to patients that initially refuse but then become unresponsive, incapacitated or irrational due to illness.

Judging what I have read about this patient, I would have a duty to act regardless of what he "may" want.

Where the hell is the OP?

• 2 weeks later...
Implied consent:

"Occurs when you assume the patient who is unresponsive or unable to make a rational decision, would consent to life-saving emergency care."

Prehospital Emergency Care pp. 34, Mistovich 7Th ed. (Brady)

Also applies to patients that initially refuse but then become unresponsive, incapacitated or irrational due to illness.

Judging what I have read about this patient, I would have a duty to act regardless of what he "may" want.

Where the hell is the OP?

This is the meaning of implied consent...Thanks for clearing that up for our brother in the great white north.

• 2 weeks later...

start tx, and get FD enroute for extrication. plan to be on scene for a while, get on the horn with the ER and let them know the situation. get back up enroute with more O2 cylinders and get ready for the long haul.