Commercial showing EMS as thieves

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A boycott is in order................think of all those "Mikeys" that were scarred for Life by that cereal commercial. B)

All right I have probably seriously aged myself and should probably go before I further shat in my pants...... but I won't because it occurs to me that most every profession takes a turn at being the bad guy on TV. Let's not be too sensitive.

I don't really think they were trying to show EMS as theifs. All your going to get is a "we apologize" sent to you in an email or a letter on their site. It isn't like they are going to air a commerical saying "we are so sorry, please forgive us." The damage is done.

Is this like how that Gray's Anatomy episode supposedly tried to make paramedics look stupid (when in reality that paramedic was the hero)?

Look, cops won't really chase you until your tires blow out, catch up to you, do an on-the-spot tire change, and give you a headstart so they can keep chasing you.

Teachers won't really give you an A if you give them a really chocolatee caramel candy bar.

And the Secret Service won't really start dancing if you play the Six Flags theme song.

Let's not be insecure in our profession. It's not like they were saying to have a camera handy in case you spot EMTs stealing from a patient...it's 'wow, this Camera is so freaking cool, we're gonna take it"...it's just a dumb commercial like all the others. Besides, I don't think the public really has a bad impression of us...when I told my friends I was doing EMT school they acted like I was going to med school or something...rather than to a CC class that my 8th grade brother could pass without studying hard.

Craig, back off.

YOu are accusing me of stealing something in the past. I have never done so.

You are making broad generalizations about me that you have no right to make.

I don't come here and personally attack you so I expect the same consideration from you.

Yes its a commercial but it still made me mad.

Am I going to go out and do something rash, NO I'm going to send a polite email to Olympus expressing my disapproval and leave it at that.

Yes it made me mad, I'm sure that you have been made mad due to a commercial or something you have seen on tv.

It makes our profession look bad and that is unacceptable to me. We spend so much time trying to get a professional image and one commercial can blow it.

So before you come here making personal attacks on me think again.

Well...it is just a commercial. I have plenty of other things I could waste my time getting offended about.

You have to admit it seems like pretty good marketing. Afterall, their commercial has a spotlight on this forum. They managed to get people talking about their product. Now anyone who reads this thread will have at least heard of Olympus and might remember the name the next time they go to buy a camera.

Time spent is relative. I highly doubt that anyone is saying, "Dude, this sucks. Lets go out and picket the stores and send a billion and one emails to every retailer, distributor, and every member of their board." I doubt that someone is going to spend hours complaining because of a commercial. Taking 5 minutes, though, to send a quick, "You are mischaracterizing the members of a health care profession..." yada yada yada to their PR rep shouldn't nearly as much trouble as everyone is making it out to be.

By the way, does anyone have a link to the ad online?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.