Shift Ninjas?

Moosey

Most management, frown upon personal relationship(s) at place of employment. If there becomes a problem in relationship, there is a problem at work. This does not make good working relations with other crew members & patronization can soon be indicated. I have worked in EMS for over 25+ yrs, & I have seen nothing but trouble with on-crew relationships (married or other wise) resentments build among crew members very fast & some consider unprofessional ism can be accused.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

You took the words right out of my mouth. Beautifully stated. =D>

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband works part time at my full time job, we cannot work the same shift. (It is understood that certain circumstances may bring us together on a call, we do run a call shift and something big could put us on the same truck.......) It is not because we do not play well together, it simply keeps things on a professional level, sometimes people act differently when their spouse is getting talked to like shit or someone gets too flirty, whatever the case may be.

You might also consider that possibility that you might not get along in a professional setting as well as you do in a personal or even classroom setting. The whole don't move in with your best from high school in college b/c you end up getting on each other's nerves principle.

I've had a girlfriend I loved dearly out of work, but at work I couldn't stand her and would have chewed her out had she been someone else. Didn't like that situation at all. It's also cool to have different friends from work to have different things to share with each other after work (like the other guy said).

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

been there, done that and have the scars to prove it, i would highly advised against it, it is a recipe for disaster

personal time is just that...personal...off the job and enjoying the relationship/family

we are not machines...is is next to impossible to go form working mode to personal time mode in the flip of the switch

same rotation/platoon is fine, but stick to different trucks or stations (that way all your off time is spent together) and gives you different stuff to talk about after the tour

on a final note... if you or your partner (as in spouse) gets into trouble, all of a sudden your sense of priority an judgment can fly out the window and you start making emotional decisions that can lead to a slippery slope

and lastly.....we all know how rumors can grow and have a life of their own, adding additional stress to what is an all ready stressful job

tanya

PS the only good thing that ever came out of me and a boyfriend working together was that he noticed i forgot to put on a bra while getting in dressed in the dark one morning

• 5 months later...

In most services I have worked with there have been husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend both employed there. If they are partners, they are typically split though at one service they both were co-owners of the service, so yeah, they had their say. I have seen too many personal issues dragged into the department and all out wars breaking out in the station. Even if on same shift. Where I am now, we have a husband/wife which work there, but husband is part time and wife is full time. She is the captain with EMS and he is a FF on the engine at different stations when on duty together. Bf/Gf are split as well, even if just to different stations. I personally would never put husband/wife together even in same station if I could avoid it just to prevent issues down the road. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.