Research paper on response times

Angie

Maybe it's just me, but all of this seems a lot simpler than the researchers and consultants want to make it.

If your response times are too slow, you don't have enough ambulances. Period.

What's hard about that? We can whine and moan about abusers and mutual aid responses all day, but the bottom line is that you need more ambulances. While Rid's "too many chefs" theory is a valid one, it does not absolutely preclude individual communities from having their own services and not giving up their local control to a county-wide system. What almost always happens in those cases is those communities end up with worse service and RT's because now their dedicated service is busy making crap runs in the big city. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The consultants are morons.

I really do not understand what you mean about whine or moan? The thing that concerns me the most is my patient, and no matter how petty the call I have to give that call my undivided attention. It doesn't matter how many ambulances an EMS agency will run there still will be an abuse of the 911 system, which will hinder both mentally and physically the mind of the provider. Just about everyone who is involved with EMS has came into contact with the frequent flier who calls 911 for a hangnail. Again and again you may see this patient maybe up to three times a day! I've even came into contact with the same patient three times on one shift and the hospital refused to see the patient!!! The only thing that I could find that helped this syndrome was not more manned ambulances, but rather established laws for the abuse. Most states do have an established law against purposely slowing the response of an ambulance which is responding to an emergency. Indeed I do care for the patient but it comes to a point were you realize that every working human being in America is paying for these frequent fliers to abuse the 911 system and use an ambulance as a free taxi to the hospital. Or while we are on this petty call it hinders our response to a real life emergency, which slows the golden hour of life care. In my survey I found that this is what bothered some EMS providers within my state. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.