Pulse oximeters SaO2/SpO2

They mean the same thing.

Some people now prefer to use "SaO[sub:20428dd34e]2[/sub:20428dd34e]" for O[sub:20428dd34e]2[/sub:20428dd34e] sat since SpO[sub:20428dd34e]2[/sub:20428dd34e] was sometimes confused with PaO[sub:20428dd34e]2[/sub:20428dd34e] obtained from a blood gas measurement.

As an RT, I must point out that SaO2 and SpO2 are not interchangable and you can have a great sat and a crappy PaO2. For example if you have a severely anemic patient you can have a 99% sat and the patient may only have a PaO2 of 70mmHg. So while PaO2 and SaO2 are related, and you get both values from a blood gas, they are not the same, and SpO2 is only an estimation. I've never seen anyone mistake a SpO2 for a PaO2....just so you know especially since they have totally different units (one being a percentage and the other being measured in mmHg or kPa depending on where you are (US vs. Europe and Canada I believe))

On that whole subject, I once had an M.D. tell me that he felt the pulse ox. was a bit of a false animal in the pre-hospital setting. He suggested to look at the pt. (breathing rate, quality, lung sounds, etc.) He added that hemoglobin is 3 dimensional and the readings taken by the probe were only looking at two dimensions. How much of a difference is number values is that?? Couldn't tell you. I just try to remember PINK=GOOD, BLUE=BAD.

pulse ox=oxygen saturation.

pulse ox does not = [cellular] respiration

Interfere with respiration and the pulse-ox will give you a valid saturation. Sure, the RBCs might be fully saturated with oxygen. That doesn't mean the cells are able to use the oxygen or that there isn't a blockage someplace.

Im going off topic here. Shoot me, warn me, whatever.

General question. When weighing the good and bad points of this device as much as we have, does it really do us as much good in EMS as it does harm? Maybe something to toss till we make EMS a touch more educated maybe?

*Now return to your regularly scheduled thread*

Pulse oximetry is only as good as the provider that is reading it.

If you truly understand the device's limitations, it will help you. If you add this information to what you have gathered with other tools, it can help you. If you use it as a stand alone measurement, you have made a huge error.

Give a monkey a hammer, and they can't build a house.

If I had only one monitor it would be a pulse oximeter because I feel it gives you more information than any other single monitor. That said, the best monitor is a vigilant health care provider.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

As an RT, I must point out that SaO2 and SpO2 are not interchangable and you can have a great sat and a crappy PaO2. For example if you have a severely anemic patient you can have a 99% sat and the patient may only have a PaO2 of 70mmHg. So while PaO2 and SaO2 are related, and you get both values from a blood gas, they are not the same, and SpO2 is only an estimation. I've never seen anyone mistake a SpO2 for a PaO2....just so you know especially since they have totally different units (one being a percentage and the other being measured in mmHg or kPa depending on where you are (US vs. Europe and Canada I believe))

I don't really think I'm in much of a place to argue with an RT on a topic like this, but from Brady Essentials of Paramedic Care:

"The oxygen saturation measurement obtained through pulse oximetry is abbreviated Sa[sub:de25d97509]2[/sub:de25d97509] (oxygen saturation). When pulse oximetry first came into use, some authors abbreviated the oxygen saturation measurement as SpO[sub:de25d97509]2[/sub:de25d97509]. However, this was sometimes confused with the PaO[sub:de25d97509]2[/sub:de25d97509] obtained during blood gas measurement. SaO[sub:de25d97509]2[/sub:de25d97509] is recognized throughout the paramedic profession."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.