EMT-I Training

I am living in St Louis Missouri right now, and posses a Mo and Illinois EMT-B license. I'm applying for a job that requires a minimum of EMT-I. Does anyone know of schools near St Louis that offer this course(probably in Ill, since Mo hasn't got EMT-Is)? I dont have time to get a paramedic license, which is why the intermediate is my goal. Any info would help, esp specific school name, any contact info, experience with that school, etc. Whatever you can do to help. Thanks.

Has your friend Google been of any benefit to you?

Try there. It's amazing the stuff Google knows.

Good luck.

Why not enough time to go to paramedic? Unfortunately, in most EMT-I programs going on to P is only a few months more. So why not spend the extra few months?

Or is this simply to get the job now?

-be safe.

Timing is extremely important. I might not be in town long enough to complete an entire para course then do clinicals. I tried google but it brings up such confusing results. I thought it would be faster to search the message boards for someone nearby who had recommendations. Besides, how long is the EMT I program?

To get reliable information, you will probably have to talk to people in the area. Try community colleges and the EMS providers nearby. You could also check with the state EMS office for upcoming classes.

Most intermediate programs will take roughly 600-800 hours of your time, then add the paramedic component for another 300-400 hours a few months later.

I know Missouri doesn't have EMT-I; that's why I need to go to Illinois to get the training. Since this is a BBS of EMTs, I thought it would be a good place to check. I am actively searching google and the phone book; I appreciate your suggestions but please, if you dont know of a school near the st louis metro area offering EMT I certification, hold the rest. I'm not trying to start a discussion, just get school info. The employer I'm communicating with requires EMT-I, doesn't matter what state. The job involves a lot of travel and starts before I have time to finish a full blown para course. I have all the other details I need but a school to attend. If you have info on that subject, I would appreciate your assistance.

Well, it would be kinda of stupid for the school to offers a class, that is not recognized by the state... if you understood the point. Another words, I doubt you find an Intermediate class in a state that does not recognize such....(my main point)

I would look at your state EMS agency and their approved training sites, and look at their links..for schedules etc..

If you don't have time for that, doubt you have time for classes...

R/r 911

I know Missouri doesn't have EMT-I; that's why I need to go to Illinois to get the training. Since this is a BBS of EMTs, I thought it would be a good place to check. I am actively searching google and the phone book; I appreciate your suggestions but please, if you dont know of a school near the st louis metro area offering EMT I certification, hold the rest. I'm not trying to start a discussion, just get school info. The employer I'm communicating with requires EMT-I, doesn't matter what state. The job involves a lot of travel and starts before I have time to finish a full blown para course. I have all the other details I need but a school to attend. If you have info on that subject, I would appreciate your assistance.

Based on your preceeding statement above it sounds like you are making a vague reference to overseas contract work...There are a few people here who may be able to help you with the specifics in that vein. If this is your interest do a search here and other places and you will find a wealth of info...Next, it would make more sense that you 'take the time' and do your medic as it will open up more doors for you in that arena. Perhaps your perspective employer could provide you with recommended course and more info.....????? Lastly, call the state OEMS office and they will POC info for various courses in the various states you seek....

OUT HERE,

ACE844

Good call Ace. Experience isn't a worry for me; also, I have conversed with others (not on this BBS, but on others and in person) who are in that field and this training is the last major hurdle. If there are individuals you can direct me to for that sort of advice, though, I'm all ears. PM me their screen name and Ill search for their posts or PM them direct. I'm waiting to hear back from local training officers but so far just have messages.

Good call Ace. Experience isn't a worry for me; also, I have conversed with others (not on this BBS, but on others and in person) who are in that field and this training is the last major hurdle. If there are individuals you can direct me to for that sort of advice, though, I'm all ears. PM me their screen name and Ill search for their posts or PM them direct. I'm waiting to hear back from local training officers but so far just have messages.

As far as experience it would depend on what your 'primary responsibility' would be, shooter or medic...If it's medic you should know most decently paying co's want 3-8 yrs ALS (read: 911 PARAMEDIC EXPERIENCE) street time + teaching certs with all the other usual stuff as well... I suspect if you had that covered you wouldn't be looking for an I course with the obvious exception of being prior service, (here most would be looking for 18D or similar exp...)

Try these threads and links::

Iraq/International EMS Jobs Resource

International EMS, Offshore, Consulting

www.international-ems.com

www.remotemedics.com

medics_in_iraq_and_afghanistan

OilfieldMedics

Hope this helps,

ACE844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.