Asked to give a talk...

taskay

Yeah.... tell them to get a real job... one that won't ruin their lives and make them squadushe for money....

If that doesn't work, tell them Hep B can lie dormant in dried blood for weeks.... and then explain what Hep B is. :lol:

I'm not a paramedic, so I'm sure that you would be much more appropriate to answer the questions... Good luck!

I would tell them the things that you like about the job, what brings you satisfaction. If there is someone in the class that feels the same way he/she might choose an EMS career.

On side note to cosgrojo....What the hell is "squadushe" :shock:

How old is the group? Are there youth programs in the area, like Explorers?

I guess it would come down to how honest you think you need to be. If you want to show the professional side, dress the part. Throw a fresh shine on the boots, get the uniform dry cleaned and pressed, basically make yourself look like a recruiting poster. Or, walk in with the puke/blood/gray matter still in the tread of your boots, bloody mess all over the shirt, hair uncombed, sunglasses in the auditorium.

Obviously the motivation will determine which direction to take this. If you are trying to recruit, look good. If you don't think any of these kids would be able to handle the workload, lay it on thick.

On side note to cosgrojo....What the hell is "squadushe" :shock:

I suppose I've been watching "Around the Horn" too much. :lol: It is a New York slang for, "Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zero."

The way you speak will have to do with the age of students. I usally tell them about the hours I work the lives I have helped . I also touch on the education that is needed. Like the knowledge of math and reading and writing in reports. If you think about being in school, at least for me, I always was the one saying " why do I need to know this " so to connect the subjects to the job feild might make a student have a greater desire to learn.

If noting else show them tyhe cardiac monitor or IO drill :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.