EMT - Basic, Condensed Course...

Hi, I am new to the group so hopefully this isn't in the wrong forum.

Anyway, we are getting out of the military in late summer and need to be emt-certified by Nov for a firefighter position...so our only choice is a short course.

We are willing to go anywhere to get this...but our family is in northern California and Portland, OR.

I know there is a lot of negative thoughts about the 2-3 week boot camp, but he was certified before and it expired while we were overseas.

I would appreciate anyone who knows of short courses. We are out in the middle on August and are available to go the long days.

We even looked at the wilderness EMT programs in Wyoming...but a little too costly. What a blast that would be!

Thanks for your time and advice! :lol:

Most EMT courses are 16 weeks (roughly 3 months) and you should be able to find summer course locally. If he was a medic prior and if it has been within a certain period time, he might be able to attend a refresher & re-test. This all is according to local and state policies.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Was he National Registry certified? If so, check with them for re-entry needs. How long has the lapse been? Check with the state(s) he was certified in. They may have a re-entry program.

Was he National Registry certified? If so, check with them for re-entry needs. How long has the lapse been? Check with the state(s) he was certified in. They may have a re-entry program.

Exactly. If he is NR, it's in the bag. Just need a 48 hour refresher course, which is not terribly hard to find at all, and then retest to reactivate the old cert. If he's not NR, then again, a lot of states have their own provision for it. Contact the state in question and/or www.nremt.org Definitely a lot more convenient than a full course repeat, but if you can do a full course repeat, I would certainly not discourage that. You can never have too much training, no matter your experience.

Welcome to the forum. And bonus points for picking the correct forum for this post! :thumbright:

From NREMT website.

Lapsed Registration

To be reinstated once EMT-Basic national registration has lapsed, the candidates must:

If lapsed within a two-year period, document successful completion of a state-approved DOT National Standard EMT-Basic Refresher education program within the past two (2) years; submit a new application and fee; and successfully complete the NREMT-Basic written examination and state-approved practical examination (within the past 12 months) that meets or exceeds Registry standards.

If lapsed beyond a two-year period and still currently state-certified at the EMT-Basic level, document successful completion of a state-approved DOT National Standard EMT-Basic Refresher Training Course within the past two (2) years; submit a new application and fee; and successfully complete the NREMT-Basic written examination and state-approved practical examination (within the past 12 months) that meets or exceeds Registry standards.

If lapsed beyond a two-year period and state certification at the EMT-Basic level has also lapsed, document successful completion of a new state-approved DOT National Standard EMT-Basic education program within the past two (2) years; submit a new application and fee; and successfully complete the NREMT-Basic written examination and state-approved practical examination (within the past 12 months) that meets or exceeds Registry standards.

From this quote:

If lapsed beyond a two-year period and state certification at the EMT-Basic level has also lapsed, document successful completion of a new state-approved DOT National Standard EMT-Basic education program within the past two (2) years; submit a new application and fee; and successfully complete the NREMT-Basic written examination and state-approved practical examination (within the past 12 months) that meets or exceeds Registry standards

This is where he is. He was current when we left for England and then we spent too much time goofing off in Europe.

What is the DOT National Standard EMT-Basic program? That seems to be the easiest way.

However, he is out of practice and has been focusing on other things (baby, masters, finding a job) so he would probably want to get retrained.

Thanks

He was NREMT certified...from that website, I read that he has to complete the training again:

If lapsed beyond a two-year period and state certification at the EMT-Basic level has also lapsed, document successful completion of a new state-approved DOT National Standard EMT-Basic education program within the past two (2) years; submit a new application and fee; and successfully complete the NREMT-Basic written examination and state-approved practical examination (within the past 12 months) that meets or exceeds Registry standards.

Thanks for your help!

I have seen accelerated courses (120 hrs in 3 weeks) in the military but now anywhere else. It's a lot of information in suck a short period of time, makes me wonder if you really understand the information.

I have seen accelerated courses (120 hrs in 3 weeks) in the military but now anywhere else. It's a lot of information in suck a short period of time, makes me wonder if you really understand the information.

Accelerated courses are great for military medical personnel, experienced nurses and allied health personnel, or for former EMT's who are recertifying. Both times I took EMT, it was a 2 week or 4 week course. But yes, it is a risky proposition for the general population.

Many big city fire departments have 3 or 4 week EMT schools. Dallas does. Eighty hours of didactic in the first two weeks, followed by eighty hours of clinicals and field time. It works well for the intelligent and well educated people who are scientifically minded and have good student skills. Especially since the clinical and field experience is immediate and intense and strongly reinforces the theory. But a lot of the products of civil service and affirmative action don't pass. And, of course, some really intelligent people simply do not have an aptitude for medicine either.