Planning ahead for post-graduation

So I faxed my resume and a completed application around to a few AMR outfits with a cover letter introducing myself, my experience, and that I will be graduating Paramedic school in 5 months and will be looking nation-wide for employment. I stated in my letter and it was my intention to get my resume on a few desks. I heard back from one outfit, one sent me a detailed application, and another sent me a letter telling me I left out this, this, and that, out of my application as if they didn't even read it.

I know there are a lot of employment questions on this forum, maybe someone could compile a guide to EMS employment one day. My question is how do I plan ahead for a job after graduation? I see this and that city are holding exams, but what am I supposed to do in the mean time, how do I make money and pay bills while taking off time to fly around the country to sit for exams? I'd like to get out of town but what are some things I can do to plan ahead, that is, besides passing my course, the NREMT exam, and wrapping up my clinicals?

I heard back from one outfit, one sent me a detailed application, and another sent me a letter telling me I left out this, this, and that, out of my application as if they didn't even read it.

I know there are a lot of employment questions on this forum, maybe someone could compile a guide to EMS employment one day. My question is how do I plan ahead for a job after graduation? I see this and that city are holding exams, but what am I supposed to do in the mean time, how do I make money and pay bills while taking off time to fly around the country to sit for exams? I'd like to get out of town but what are some things I can do to plan ahead, that is, besides passing my course, the NREMT exam, and wrapping up my clinicals?

Okay a couple of things.....

Learn how to or pay someone to do a professional resume. Invest in well grade paper as well. I highly suggest the book " What Color is Your Parachute" You can usually find this in a local library, it has very helpful. professional hints and how to write a resume.

Second, I am surprised they sent back your application with "you left this out" etc.. as a administrator or hiring committee, I automatically trash applications that are not filled out properly. If you have a blank, then place not applicable or see resume attachment etc.. never leave a section blank unless described to do so.

Third, contact EMS recruiters... some national EMS services have a budget for "travel expenses" . Do some research before applying, and investigate as much before applying. Be prepared to ask questions and to be asked questions as well. Some services are now doing on-line interview or telephone interviews for long distance applicants.

Work if possible in any EMS until you can get the position you want or any related medical field. EMS providers understand, you have to have money.. just describe that to them...

Good luck,

R/R 911

Yes, my resume has been combed over and refined by a couple hands, including people who actually do some hiring of their own. When I mentioned that the AMR recruiter in California sent me a letter telling me things were missing, they were referring to things such as copies of my ACLS, PHTLS, and PALS license, my CA drivers license and such. But my intention was just to get a heads up of a recruiter, not to actually apply, I guess those cover letters don't matter all that much after all.

There are many opportunities for Paramedic employment right here in the Tarheel. I'm sure you have seen this site but just in case, here it is.

http://www.ncems.org/employment.htm

If you want to look Nationally, here is another.

http://www.911hotjobs.com/firetitle/paramedic.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.