Benadryl contraindicated with a Asthma history?

NYAEMT-I

Again, evaulate our patient. I would not be so scared in givieng Benadryl to a known asthmatic if that is not the problem. Although, I be more concerned giving to a pregnant female. Be, cautious, be prepred for side efffects, and adverse reactions.

Agai, of the S.O.B. was related to asthma, I would hold off (if I was to give some ?) ...

R/R 911

Patient assessment is truly the key here. Does the patient take maintenance drugs for the asthma? Have they used their inhaler since the onset of the attack - was there any relief? What is your patient's presentation?

Having a child with both asthma and anaphylactic reactions I can tell you that this is no piece of cake. Her asthma is currently under control - she takes no maintenance meds. Her last reaction at age 7 was especially severe and was accompanied by hives - head to toe - that were hot and itchy - which appeared some two hours after ingesting the allergen. Initial treatment from the physician was to administer an entire day's dosage of Benadryl - child's dosing of 50 mg. Things subsided but when they began to reappear a couple of hours later we were off to the ER. The MD detected wheezing - with a stethescope. (This was before I was in EMS - so I was not capable of assessing her lung sounds at home.) We spent about six hours in the ER that day. Two days later she relapsed - this time with hives, redness and edema only from the clavicles upward and extreme lethargy. Back to the ER. Needless to say, this was the episode that finally landed us in the allergist office where we received precise instructions regarding life-threatening anaphylaxis and the use of EpiPens.

As a side note, the allergist, our former physician and our current one all concurred that the benefits outweigh the contraindications in this instance. Also, given the severity and since we are appx. 30 minutes from a Level II trauma center - not counting EMS response time to our home - we were instructed to always ask 911 dispatch for air transport.

Again - treat your patient - and know your protocols!

• 3 weeks later...

It all comes down to your assessment and the patients condition. You could treat the patient with IM or SQ Epi., plus Solu Medrol & Tagament. You could also give the patient Albuterol if needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.