Anywhere I can Volly as EMT for Patient Air Transport?

I am an EMT-b. I know there are volunteer organizations out there such as Angel Flight and the like that transport, via air, patients in need.

I would like to volunteer my time as an EMT to patients with a need for air transport. I live in Long Island, NY, but I am open to any opportunity that doesnt keep me away from home for too long.

Does anyone know of such an opportunity? Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

I have yet to see any air program that utilizes EMT-B's in a patient care role. I know of one fixed wing program that uses EMT-I's occasionally when an extra set of hands are needed (i.e. specialized transports or lengthy intercontinental flights), but the primary care roles are still performed by critical care Paramedics, RN's, and RT's. Most programs are designed as critical care transport services and the fundamental level of care provided cannot be reasonably given by an EMT-B.

Angelflight does not provide medical personnel, only the pilot and the plane. Each patient is required to supply their own needs medically and the aircraft is not configured to provide for emergent care.

know of one fixed wing program that uses EMT-I's occasionally when an extra set of hands are needed (i.e. specialized transports or lengthy intercontinental flights),

Thank you very much for your informative and timely reply! I hope to take the next step in my EMT education by becoming an EMT-I shortly. Would you be so kind as to offer the contact info of the program you are referring to? Thanks again.

I am afraid you will be out of luck for quite some time.

As for your current certification level, there is no need to have you onboard an aircraft.

Some rotor programs allow observers for a few hours or a shift, but this is very rare.

There is too much liability to have a non employee flying along.

There are also weight considerations that must be figured in. Heavy pt or two pts and guess who will be left standing on scene as the bird leaves.

You will not be allowed to utilize your skills in a helicopter, which is crowded to start with unless you fly in the big monsters like me.

The programs that I know of that do allow observers, require that the observer be in the local area EMS profession.

As for fixed wing programs, with the exception of remote Alaska, Canada, and the reservations in AZ and NM, very few flight programs do emergency response with a fixed wing. This means that the flights most fixed wing programs perform are non emergency in nature, just requiring specialty care or treatment and/or the pts are being repatriated. This is one of themost common flights.

As for having riders on these flights, I have to ask you..Have you ever been inside of a Lear jet or KA 200? These are the most commonly used aircraft for fixed wing. They are cramped as well. Usually only one caregiver has direct access to the pt in a convienent fashion. Having a 3rd person on board, again adds unecesary weight and basically you will be in the way. In addition, a lot of these flights are very routine and mundane as they are not usually trauma in nature.

My advice to you is to continue on to paramedic or nursing, get a few years experience and then start hitting the programs hard. On average, it takes a minimum of 3-5 years busy ALS experience before most programs will even consider hiring you. Good luck with your endeavors and if I can provide any more info, ask away.

Ditto, what AK said. Most of the air flight programs are not what medics & even nurses expect. Usually as what AK stated it primary used for long distance ICU or even nursing home to nursing home transports. Kinda knocks the wind out huh...?

All of the flight services I have seen and worked for required the Paramedic to have at the minimum of 5-6 years at at the Paramedics level and preferred CCEMT/P with multiple experience (ER/ICU etc...) the nurse the same with 3-5 yrs ICU

experience and maybe ER experience in lieu..

Study hard .. pay your dues.. it is a very competitive position.

R/R 911

know of one fixed wing program that uses EMT-I's occasionally when an extra set of hands are needed (i.e. specialized transports or lengthy intercontinental flights),

Thank you very much for your informative and timely reply! I hope to take the next step in my EMT education by becoming an EMT-I shortly. Would you be so kind as to offer the contact info of the program you are referring to? Thanks again.

I could provide it, but I'm not to prevent the feeling of false hope. Just as Rid and AK said, you need years of experience below your belt before applying. The competition is fierce, usually 30-50 applicants per job posting. Keep up with your education and get the needed experience. Your time will come..........................................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.