Minimum lifting/Carrying requirements

Rid,

I work in Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma.

I have explained my job description to everyone involved. That I am required to lift cardiac monitor, oxy caddy, jump bag, and finally the patient. I did tell them that on most occasions we would have FR, FD, PD, SO, etc... on calls, but I work rural a lot and we find ourselves without help a great deal of the time too.

My concern is that our average patient is 220 lbs, (good southern cooking). LOL... That alone keeps me from doing this job. I have always had a theory that maybe be hindering me here, but I feel it's the right theory to have. If me or my partner can't lift "their/my" part of the weight, it's too risky for the other person involved. It's not only potentially getting myself hurt again, but my partner. It's their way of life, their income, their families support.

My doctor is wanting a "national average" of lifting requirements. He has suggested that I contact different agencies and get a copy of their written policy and bring at least 5 from different areas and bring those in so he can decide what the national average is....What can I say, he has that "I am a doctor, I rule" mentality.

This has beeng going on for 11 months, I am not a person who likes to sit at home and draw a check, or sit at home period. I want to feel productive, and in the past 11 months I have gone from not being able to move my right arm at all to only lifting 43lbs. I don't have another 11 months of sanity left to be able to lift 80lbs... :? By the way, he took me off physical therapy 4 months ago for my arm because the weight lifting was exacerbating the pain and limiting my FROM to partial ROM.

I can't see myself, at this point, to be effective at carrying a spinal immobilized patient from a culvert to the cot that is waiting on stable ground.

I love this job. There isn't anyother job in the world that I would want to do, not for money or anything else. I would love to return to this job. But again the reality of it all has sunk in.

Thanks for all the input. Again I will continue my quest.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMTPDIVER, I know there are several workman's comp attorneys that should have a list of services that have weight requirements. You might contact some that have represented some EMSA since the occurrence is probably higher.

Your physician should not wait on that data, he should refer to your work men's comp case manager. He/She can give the information needed to give the range of lifting weigh approximations. If your physician is basing this solely based on 50 pounds, he is mistaken and he is aware of this as well. As usual you should get a private consultation with a recommendation of disability, then your employers/Workman's comp physician representative. They will average between.

I realize you want to return to work, (which is very nice to see) BUT be very careful ! Be sure to get all settlements for your loss and medical treatment(s). I know many don't want to jeopardize their company etc..but, take care of yourself. Be sure you are totally healed first... if you you go back too soon, you will more than likely re-injure again. Realistically, a minimum of 125 -150 pounds is what most test for and should expect. By the time you add the cot weight and yes.. most of out patients are 300 lbs.. not 200.

I would contact EMSA risk manager and ask what their requirements of lifting are, as well as workman's comp board to see if they have a lifting requirement for EMT on file.

I wish you the best of luck....

R/R 911

Your doctor is an idiot. Get a second opinion. Here in Ontario the minimum lifting requirement is 190lbs between two people plus the wt of the equipment ie: stair chair or stretcher. If you contact any of the local colleges (Humber or Centennial college for example) they should be able to give you this req. in writing. Although there are quite a few differences between EMS in Canada and in the US, lifting is not one of them.

I have spoken with EMSA of Tulsa, their lifting requirement is 80 lbs dead lift. They will be contacting me with the information in writing. The Ops Supervisor that I spoke with said they have only 80 lbs because "it's reasonable to assume that with 2 people it can be done", and if it's any heavier than that you can call for lift assist with FD. Work Comp has also told me to find 4 more to get national average. (Apparently they don't have it either). Up to this point I haven't wanted to contact an attorney to assist me with this injury, all I am wanting is medical bills taken care of, but since I am meeting a block everywhere I turn with WC and my PCP, I guess I am going to call a friend of mine that is a Labour Law attorney to see what he can find out for me also. I want to thank everyone that has responded, and if you know of any further information that will help, please continue to respond, all information has been helpful.

If you know of any companies out there that has a lifting requirement listed on their site, if you will let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Again thank you so very much.

Well today was the day of truth, I went to see the Doctor with a compilation of information about lifting requirements. The doctor didn't even let me tell him about it when he determined that I had reached "MMI" (maximum medical improvement). The doctor stated that I would not be able to return to work on the ambulance at any point. Of course this is not the outcome that I was wanting or hoping for, but it is what it is.

Thank you guys so much for everything. Here's to looking for work on the "other side" of things....

Well today was the day of truth, I went to see the Doctor with a compilation of information about lifting requirements. The doctor didn't even let me tell him about it when he determined that I had reached "MMI" (maximum medical improvement). The doctor stated that I would not be able to return to work on the ambulance at any point. Of course this is not the outcome that I was wanting or hoping for, but it is what it is.

Thank you guys so much for everything. Here's to looking for work on the "other side" of things....

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I would hope your injury wouldn't restrict you from continuing to teach. Also, have you considered dispatching? It would be refreshing to know the person on the " other side " had a clue as to what the call was about. :wink:

I have spoken with EMSA of Tulsa, their lifting requirement is 80 lbs dead lift. They will be contacting me with the information in writing. The Ops Supervisor that I spoke with said they have only 80 lbs because "it's reasonable to assume that with 2 people it can be done", and if it's any heavier than that you can call for lift assist with FD. Work Comp has also told me to find 4 more to get national average. (Apparently they don't have it either). Up to this point I haven't wanted to contact an attorney to assist me with this injury, all I am wanting is medical bills taken care of, but since I am meeting a block everywhere I turn with WC and my PCP, I guess I am going to call a friend of mine that is a Labour Law attorney to see what he can find out for me also. I want to thank everyone that has responded, and if you know of any further information that will help, please continue to respond, all information has been helpful.

If you know of any companies out there that has a lifting requirement listed on their site, if you will let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Again thank you so very much.

Rural/Metro's corporate standards for field operations personnel require the ability to lift 125 pounds unassisted; as far as I know, that's at all their contracted locations coast to coast. When I first trained in Tulsa many years ago (and no, I won't say exactly when, because I don't like remembering that I'm starting to get older :| ) there was no such requirement; guess all the EMS back injuries started getting noticed.

Sidenote of personal opinion. Contacting FD for lifting assistance is an option, yes, but it's not always a workable one depending on what they already have going on. It has yet to happen to me personally, but I've heard dispatch answer a crew's request for FD response to assist in lifting "FD units unavailable at this time". Depending on the patient's condition I'd either wait a few and see if a mini gets freed up or I'll call for a second crew. If we're doing the pump-and-blow boogie, FD's always on scene with us, so that's a non-issue. YMMV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.