Minimum lifting/Carrying requirements

I need help and knew that you wonderful knowledgable people could help. My situation is pretty simple, I need "in print" what the minimum lifting requirement is for EMS. I am a 7 yr paramedic and have been injured. My max lift is 48 lbs, my safe lift (8 times in 24 hours) is only 43 lbs, due to a shoulder and back injury. My doctor is saying 50 lbs should clear me back on the streets. I love EMS and want to return, but it has been a year since my injury and am being realistic by understanding that returning to the unit may not be an option for me, but I need it in print that the minimum carrying or lifting that EMT's do is so much more than 50 lbs. Can you folks help? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not on the NHTSA site http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa...30811060008a0c/

And, surprisingly, it is not on the Dept. Of Labour site http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos101.htm

I suppose with your experience, you have been through physical therapy. Contact your physical therapist or occupational therapist. They have outlines of the nationally recognized and established physical requirements for just about every occupation you can imagine, and would be happy to share a copy.

I have spoken to both my PT and my OT, but they don't have these standards either. Guess I am the first medic in this area that needs that information :roll: :oops: . I have also checked on the state sites for Arkansas and Oklahoma, the area I live and worked, not listed. I have checked different EMS company sites, starting with some of the biggest companies to the largest cities around the nation, every thing says "heavy lifting and bending required".

But thanks for your guys help. :lol:

I have spoken to both my PT and my OT, but they don't have these standards either.

That's insane. That would be like me not knowing normal vital signs. You talked to idiots. Contact the PT and OT schools around you. That is what OT is all about. They know this stuff. They were just being lazy. After my accident, the rehab people pulled the national standards for my job right out of a book that listed every occupation in the country. Nobody got released from work rehab until they had been rehabbed to those standards, whether they were a cop, fireman, medic, mechanic, baggage handler, or whatever. These days, it's just a keystroke away on their computers, I'm sure.

Well, Dust, thanks again, but once again, getting nowhere quickly with the people in this area. I have called the 4 closest schools that offer PT programs in this area, and no dice. Their reply has consistently been, "your job should have that, and we rely on the companies that we provide PT for to give us a list of their requirements."

Well, that is where I initially started at. I was working for 3 different EMS companies locally, and NONE of them have anything in writing. In this area, really, seriously, if you have a pulse, are breathing, and are certified, you have a job. It doesn't matter to them whether or not you can actually physically or mentally do the job.

Some of the supervisors for one company I work for are consistently walking patients in C-collars to the ambo on the front page of the newspaper, and nothing is said.

Sorry sort of a rant there.

Again Dust, thanks...I will continue my quest...

We have had sevral medics out with "bad backs..etc" We have never had to have a exact number of pounds for return or release. It is part of the job requirement to be able to lift equipment and half of patients weight. Therefore physicians and even workmens comp are aware of the generalized weight requirements.

My ex was a medic and she injured her shoulder and was out for a long period. All we had to describe that she was responsible for lifitng half the patients weight and "heavy equpment". Your case manager should had helped you in getting the requirements as well. The physician should also be aware that 50 pounds is an unrealistic number, for a job that requires lifting patients. Even more so is the repetitious lifting more than the extreme weight.

Which area do you work in ?

R/R 911

Seems kinda silly to me. My GF is off currently and she only had to describe her general job description for them to understand that she would not be able to do any heavy lifting.

If you have a stretcher that weighs about 100lbs, you and your partner lift about 50lbs each. If that all that you can safely lift how can you be expected to carry a patient on top of that. How come that is so hord for them to understand.

1. people should not be carrying trolley stretchers - this is what we have scoop stretchers, longboards, carry chairs, vacuum matresses, resuce stretchers second crews, first responders, police officers firefighters etc for !

2. loading vehicles is not a sensible requirement to base lifting standards around - loading vehicles is a controlled environment - hence the reason NO Ambulance in the Uk uses a Lift to load and 'easy load' stretchers are no longer accepable for new road ambulances , only roll ins or hydraulic , gas assisted or eletric conventional trolley loaded by ramp or tailift

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.