IV tips

emtek

Always pull the skin tight, it sometimes makes it difficult to see the vein but it beats having the skin bunch up on the top of the hand (or anywhere) as your trying to advance that catheter, talk about some pain...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only going to cause EMT's to stay and play, resulting in prolonged scene times with no benefit to the patient.

I agree.....

Where I work we were told if you cant get in enroute then you shouldnt be doing it at all. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this same question about 6 months ago when I started doing IVs in my Intermediate class. I was so freakin nervous!! It seemed I missed every IV in the field too! However, the more IVs you do, the better you'll get at it. You'll be able to judge where, and when (important in the back of a moving rig;-) to stick.

Some good ideas:

Only stick what you think you can get when starting out.

Relax, it's not as bad as you think.

Make sure you anchor the vein well so it doesn't roll on you.

MAKE SURE YOU OCCLUDE THE VEIN!!! lol, I had alot of problems with this...lotsa bad looks at the hospital.

Good luck in class!!

Don't delay transport just to get a line, I never start a line sitting still...

Apparently, you don't have the roads I have. If the patient is stable, and time is allowable, I start prior to leaving and maybe in the home I rather be sure I have a line that is patent. If time is an issue (and the travel is smooth enough) then establish one enroute. It is all about using common sense and what is right for the patient not for you.

Be safe,

R/R 911

I jst finished EMT-I school a couple of weeks ago and IV's was the thing that I was dreading the most. When we actually started doing them it proved to be no problem at all. Doing them in clinicals is where I really got comfortable with them. I missed few and one of my proctors told me that if you're not missing any then you're not getting enough sticks. So just be patient.

If any skill is what you dread most, your school sucks!

They should be scaring you so badly with anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiological theory that the skills are the easiest part.

Three simple tips to doing the perfect IV:

1. Don't miss.

2. Be careful.

3. Don't screw it up.

Follow these three and you'll have success everytime. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well I made it threw the class. I have black and blue arms and hands..lol. I tried to remember what you all told me about puncturing the vein quickly, and I think that helped. I missed a few but I also got a few. I hope to start my clinical as soon as I get my State cert, it's taking forever. My problem is I don't want to hurt people and it was hard to stick people that I call friends. But my instructor gave me some good advice: think of this as the only shot you are gonna get to get this IV in and they absolutely need it. So anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. You guys are so helpful, and I love that you tell it like it is and don't sugar coat stuff.