IV tips

emtek

I'm taking an IV certification class. We start practicing on each other on Tuesday. I am kind of freaked out, I'm having a hard time thinking about having to stick people I know. Anyone have any tips on starting good IV's, I know they are gonna hurt but is there anything I can do to make it less painful.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, make the stick quickly - that is, puncture the skin quickly. Then stop and reassess where the vessel is and go from there.

To help with the pain issue, I've found if you rub the area briskly with an alcohol swab or 2x2 for about 10 seconds then immediately stick, it lessens the discomfort. All the nerve endings are 'on fire' from the rubbing and have difficulty telling one stimulus from another.

I recently was in an Army Combat Life Saver class and we had to stick each other. I have to agree that getting the needle through the skin quickly is key. I am sure that you will become more and more comfortable as you do it.

My county recently added an IV tech program. But you have to be an EMT-B for three years and ride at least 100 calls as an OIC. (Semi Rural county with all Volunteer EMS). Makes no sense since you can end up being a medic before you can qualify for IV tech program.

IMy county recently added an IV tech program. But you have to be an EMT-B for three years and ride at least 100 calls as an OIC. (Semi Rural county with all Volunteer EMS). Makes no sense since you can end up being a medic before you can qualify for IV tech program.

I agree. Especially since an IV itself is pretty useless. It is only going to cause EMT's to stay and play, resulting in prolonged scene times with no benefit to the patient. And anybody who hasn't gone on to paramedic school in three years certainly doesn't have my confidence anyhow. Horrible idea all the way around. Medical director should be sacked.

As for the IV tips, as already stated, do it fast. Get in quickly. Don't gradually push your way through. It's not good for pain and it's not good for success. The more warning you give the vein, the more it is going to avoid you. They have minds of their own, and quite frankly, they don't want to be punctured.

Just do it! Don't think about it. Don't analyse it. Don't obsess over it. Just do it!

Don't try to advance the entire needle. :shock: Saw nurse student do that today in the ER.

Yeah... that's what I did the very first time I attempted an IV. And I would always go way too slow- I guess because I was just trying to concentrate so hard! But I agree- get the stick quickly- that's one of the most important things. :)

when inserting the needle try not to drag the skin... be sure to go straight in and then you can fell and guide the cath into the vein..... If the person has tough skin try and pul the skin taunt..... and just alittle advise always look at as if you only have one needle and you have to get it....... But if not it is ok too...... Don't get to carried away.....

Stick em quick....get it done....and watch out for the wigglers... It's just like any other procedure that's remotely painful...prolong it in any way and you will always make it worse. Be fast...and confident. Works *almost* every time.

:wink: 8

Like 8 said definitly be quick .. but also with your other hand pull the skin taught like Ash said ... but do it on everyone not just the tough skin ... while pulling the skin taught ( toward you) with your other hand make sure that you have the vien under those fingers pulling this will help hold a "rolling " vein still and also reduce pain for the PT. Also if you aim for the center of a bifercation this will also allow you to get the Stick more often than not.

Don't forget to take a deep breath and relax yourself. If your tense, it increases the chance of you having problems.

I agree. Especially since an IV itself is pretty useless. It is only going to cause EMT's to stay and play, resulting in prolonged scene times with no benefit to the patient. And anybody who hasn't gone on to paramedic school in three years certainly doesn't have my confidence anyhow. Horrible idea all the way around. Medical director should be sacked.

Dust, you are so right. I have to admit that this is the attitude that the service I work with has. That's why I'm still working on getting my 5 sticks. Everyone looks at it that we can have the pt at the hospital in 2-3 minutes ni most cases, so why take a couple of extra minutes on scene to put in the IV. Makes it tough to certify, but I like the fact that we're getting the pt into the hospital quickly.